1. 71B5R/T

71B5R/T Member

When I started researching/test driving R/T's in early 2010 I was lucky enough to come across an extremely knowledgeable salesman. I noticed the 6 speed models had a deeper exhaust tone and were louder than the automatic cars. what he told me was the stick and auto models have different exhaust systems due to the MDS. The auto models had to have the exhaust corked up a little tighter to prevent the drone when the car goes into the 4 cylinder mode. 6 speeds have a different system that flows a little better and is slightly louder. You should be able to resolve the problem once a tuner is available.

2. RT nacho

RT nacho Member

I have an 2012 RT with the same drone problem with my flow master American thunders...what do y'all think about adding side branch resonators?

3. HemiGpa

HemiGpa Member

Take it out of autostick and into manual and it shuts off the MDS, codes haven't been cracked on the 2011 and up yet so no tune.
    I have a 2011 R/T I put 392 headers and mid pipes on with a custom X-pipe to the stock R/T mufflers, my next mod will be the Doug's elect. cutouts

4. Bruce

Bruce Member

Exhaust help

I have been reading and reviewing the 5.7L MDS exhaust threads and have come to the conclussion that a Borla or Corsa will improve the sound and be OK with the MDS on and have no highway drone. however $ have slowed this train of thought. I'm old school and can remember throwing cherry bombs on anything that had a V8 and it sounded better. Found some online audio but most also deleted or replaced resonators etc. What do you all think of replaceing the suit case muffler with single cherry bombs? Any thoughts or experience?

5. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

6. Bruce

Bruce Member

Any drone with the flowmasters and factory resonators? Thanks for your help. I will set down this weekend and search YouTube for examples of just replacing the stock muffler with aftermarket and leaving the rest of the system stock. I love the Challenger but she is just too quit stock.

7. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

I don't seem to hear the drone. I think just changing your mufflers will give you what you are looking for.

8. Devildawg

Devildawg Member

Willow Street, PA [Originally from Cleveland, OH]
    I no sooner had the car in my driveway and knew my first mod was to give the exhaust a deeper full tone. I listened to several sound bites and to avoid getting over zealous I simply cut off the resonators and installed Blastn Bob's pipes. The sound change was instant. As for the drone, I have a 6spd and I only noticed it around the 2k rpm range but it was nothing I was unhappy with. In fact I enjoy hearing her purr and I really don't keep her in the range for very long. Later on I installed a set of headers and the drone lessened but the tone was much deeper. I personnaly love a louder than average exhaust. BUT not so loud that I can't enjoy a song every now and then. If there's one thing on my car that is new it's the radio... I'd rather hear my car.

9. Hemi59

Hemi59 Member

Read some comments about the drone created by the MDS. Diablo Sports Intune is available through 2010, and they now have an Intune for 11 and up. I shut the MDS off on my 10. And from what i read about the newer Intune you should be able to do the same. Hope this helps.

10. grubber

grubber New Member

Drone

Resently replaced exhaust on mt 2013 rt, auto trans, with flomaster american thunder cat back. The drone is very annoying. I now realize the difference from the auto vs manual trans. Question is does anyone make a good sounding exhaust for this car, minus the drone?