Interior Trim Pieces

Discussion in 'Challenger Interior Modifications' started by BAG, Jul 18, 2012.

1. BAG

BAG New Member

I'd like to paint some interior pieces, console, radio bezel, vent trim, door power windows trim, etc. Do most of these pieces pop out or do you have to take apart the doors and the dash?

Thanks for your response...

2. walnetto

walnetto Full Access Member

They are all different. First, I would go to Harbor Freight and get a set of plastic trim pry tools so you don't scratch the interior pieces. The radio bezel pulls out - start from the bottom. It will be hard, but it will pop out. Block the car and put it in gear to get the shifter out of the way. You can lift the little square and stick a screw driver in to disengage the shift without turning on the car. The console pops out as well. First lift the silver ring around the selections. I think you have to remove the door panels to get the window trim off. There are instructions on Challengertalk.com if you need help. The doors are tough, but they do come off. Don't force or you might break the clips. Good luck.

3. coryrt

coryrt New Member

trim

I have 2013 Jazz Blue Peal RT 5.7L. black leather int. I put in a real-wood Japanese cherry wood trim kit, with the speedometer & overhead console kits as well. It looks great!! lots of trim kit choices on CAR ID . com
    the pieces on most are permanent adhesive, so you really want to be sure on your choice & careful putting it in, but, the kits by Remin are first class.

4. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

I pulled my parts and had them hydro-dipped last year. Much better than the stick on kits...in my opinion. I tried the adhesive backed kit, and hated the fit, also found that some areas, with multiple contours, lifted after a year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As stated above, the radio surround and center console are tabbed, a firm pull and they "pop" off.

The doors are fairly simple. There are a few push-center plugs and 4 screws. For teh push-center plugs, use a small phillips head screwdriver and push on the center with your thumb directly behind the tip to prevent pushing too far. It is easy to push the center all the way thru and then you have to feel around inside the door to find it. After depressing the center, use a V plastic pry tool (like the ones from Harbor Freight) and lift the plug. After removing the screws and plugs, pull the door firmly to release "christmas tree" tabs. Then you will need to release door pull bar. It is a simple twist and release clip. Putting the panels back in can be a bit tricky.

The dash/speedo surround has a cover on the inner 'A' pillar. A firm pull releases this. Behind that cover there is one screw that holds the lower dash panel. Behind that is one more screw. The rest of the dash/speedo surround is more press tabs. Use a plastic pry tool and, starting at the top, pry the surround gently until it "pops" free like the radio and center console.

5. Challenger Driver

Challenger Driver Member

Question about removal

Jonman,
    Your hydro dip looks great. Inspired me to get it done too. I'm getting ready to get the pieces disassembled but every video I look at and every forum I check shows the entire radio console lifting out complete with the knobs and electrical? I just want to remove the trim on the radio, the console, and the gauge cluster like you did so I can ship it off to them. Can you offer any advice on how to do it? I gotta believe you can get the trim off without the whole thing, or is the car undriveable during the 4 week hydrodipping period? I'm lost....

Thanks again for the pics. Hope to hear from ya soon.
    Regards,
    Bobby

6. jonmandude

The heat/AC control knobs and the bottom buttons (for heated seats and hazard) come off with the radio surround. They are simply screwed on the back.

The floor console is just a pull up and it come out. The shifter surround is tabbed in the back.

The gauge cluster is a bit more involved. There is a panel in the door gap that 'pops' off. Behind that panel is a screw, that releases the lower trim. Behind the lower trim is one more screw for the cluster....and then a few pull tabs around the top. The gauge 'cups' are welded on. You can send it as one piece and have them taped off, or do like I did and grind the welds and reweld back together after the dipping.

Best of luck....and post pics

7. Challenger Driver

Challenger Driver Member

Came down with the flu right after I sent that post...just got done with the dissasembly as you instructed. Perfect--no issues! I unwelded the instrument cups like you did and it went fine. Going off for shipping on Tuesday, will send end result pics when it's done. THANKS MUCH for the tips Jonman! Truly appreciated! Here's a pic of our engine bay. Bout time we did the interior...

Attached Files:

8. Challenger Driver

Challenger Driver Member

Lit up....

Attached Files:

9. jonmandude

Very nice Challenger Driver. I am glad to help and happy all went well
    Looking forward to pics

10. Challenger Driver

Challenger Driver Member

Thanks! Do have one last question. How did you remove the chrome pieces from the steering wheel? The two on the bottom seem fairly straight forward, but the two with the buttons have me nervous. Did you have to remove the airbag and if so, was it difficult?
    Sorry to keep it going.....