First Oil Change - 2015 R/T

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by Eagle1450, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Eagle1450

Eagle1450 Full Access Member

Well, I did the first oil change on the 2015 R/T today -- 975 miles. Got rid of the factory fill and went to the best oil I could find (Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20) and a Royal Purple 20-820 filter.

With my RR-56 Race Ramps, it was an easy job, even for my tired 67 year old butt. Maybe its my imagination but it seems to run smoother and quieter already!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Just curious, did you have difficulty removing the oil filter? They are real screwed on tight with little or no lubrication from the factory. Many of us had a real struggle. I had to apply so much force that the oil filter gasket separated from the filter body. (I used an end cap oil filter wrench).

3. Eagle1450

I was expecting a tight filter and prepared to deal with it. I was pleasantly surprised to find the filter came off fairly easily. I suspect it was torqued close to spec. The same was true when I changed the oil for the first time in my 2014 Ram 1500. Maybe the factories are finally getting it right!

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Well-Known Member Staff Member Administrator

I know its your first oil change, but what will be your usual mileage when you will do the next one? 3000 miles?

5. Eagle1450

In the past, I have always changed the oil and filter in my cars and trucks every 3,000 miles. With the improvement in synthetic oils and the extended OCIs recommended by manufacturers, I will go to 5,000 miles or every 6 months (whichever occurs first). I am a firm believer that oil degrades even when a car is not used so time is an important factor in determining OCIs as well as miles.

I did a lot of research on oils before deciding what to use in my new Ram and Challenger. I chose Penzoil Platinum Ultra for both. Although it is very expensive, I think it is the best or close to the best oil money can buy.

6. jim

jim Full Access Member

oil & filter

Just bought a 2015 R/T 5.7 LTR. man. tran.
    How soon should I change the oil?
    What oil filter do you recommend ? Can you please give the part no. ? Some of the catalogues aren't up tpo date.
    I have Red Line 5 W 30 oil already. Is it ok to use this ?
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Jim

7. Eagle1450

I always change out the factory oil on a new car or truck within 2000 miles for two reasons. One to get rid of the initial break in material in the oil and filter and two, to move to a full synthetic (the dealer said the factory oil was a blend). After that, I will go with 5,000 miles max or every six months whichever comes first. There are lots of people that will tell you all this is excessive. To me (when balanced against the cost of the car) oil and filter changes are cheap insurance.

I was getting some start up clatter with my 5.7L Hemi so I did some research on other forums including BITOG. I settled on the Royal Purple 20-820 Filter. I did so primarily because it has a silicone anti-drain back valve as opposed to the nitrile valve in the OEM filter. The OEM Designation is MO-899. So far, no start up clatter since the oil and filter change.

The book recommends 5W-20 oil for our engines. I would stick with the factory recommendations at least while the car is under warranty. I would not give Dodge an excuse to deny warranty claims if you have an engine problem.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  8. jim

jim Full Access Member

Thanks, I really appreciate it.
    I went to auto zone and they couldn't find the right filter number for K&N 2015 5.7L
    I have $50.00 credited to me so I'll get a couple oil filters with the credit. Do you know the K&N part no. for the 2015 , 5.7 L Challenger ?
    The Duralast locking gas cap part no. 5907 worked for me from Auto Zone.

9. jim

jim Full Access Member

Eagle, you are right on.
    I'll use the 5 W 20
    and the Royal Purple 20-820 Filter.

10. Eagle1450

You will be very happy!!