Switch to synthetic oil?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by Brewster, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Brewster

Brewster New Member

Hi everyone, newbie on this forum. I have a 2010 R/T 5.7 that has always had regular 20W50 dinosaur oil in it. Have always changed the oil around 5,000 miles. Have a little over 60,000 miles on it now. I was considering changing to either a syn. blend or going full syn. for my oil. I would like your opinions on this because I know a guy that works at a motorcycle shop that swears (at least on motorcycles) that you should always run the same oil that comes in the bike from the factory, especially if it comes with dino oil, because switching to syn. oil may be thinner at a molecular level, and could cause leaks. He seems to be VERY knowledgeable about oil & viscosity and wear, and just about engine oil in general. I know I'm talking about a car now and not a bike, but anyone who might have an opinion about this, I'd love to hear it! Should I just get the good stuff and go for it, or stick with the regular oil? Thanks in advance for your comments!

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

You should have no problem switching to a full synthetic oil if you use the proper viscosity and your motor is in good shape.

Some older cars, especially those that have not had frequent oil changes, experience oil leaks with high detergent synthetic oil because it may loosen old gum and varnish deposits on the valve cover, oil pan, main seals and the under-side of intake manifold gaskets.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  3. Grumpy59

Grumpy59 New Member

Took mine to dealer today and had mine switched to synthetic. They actually said it's better for the motor..

4. Golfnut

Golfnut Active Member

I've been buying used cars for quite a few years; and, I've switched every one of them to Mobile 1 at the first oil change. My understanding of the benefit for using synthetic oil is it adheres to the cylinder walls better than dino oil; and therefore, the pistons experience less wear upon cold starts. Many people mistakenly believe you can run synthetics longer between oil changes; but, I watched a video produced by Castrol that claims that is false. They suggest you still change oil at your car's recommended intervals and with the same recommended viscosity and the cold start protection is the benefit of synthetics.

raymond5527 likes this.
  5. rtchallenger12

rtchallenger12 Full Access Member

20W50? I read my online manual last night and it said to put 5W20 in the 5.7.. so then which one is better?
    I'm going to change my oil every 3,500-4,000 miles with full synthetic from now on (just bought the car so I'm sure the dealer used the cheapest conventional) but if there's a different kind other than 5W20 to use I will

6. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

You are correct. 5W-20 weight oil is required for all 5.7 engines with automatic transmissions. This is because of the MDS (Multi Displacement System).

This cylinder deactivation system turns off the fuel in four cylinders when power is not needed. Failure to use the proper weight oil may result in improper operation of the MDS and subsequent engine problems. Usually, these problems can be resolved with an oil change, but not always.

In fact, Dodge even issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) to dealers, TSB 09-015-04 and 09-013-04: “Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System Must Use SAE 5W-20 oil."

raymond5527 likes this.
  7. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I have been using Full Synthetic engine oil for a very long time.

I think it's more important than ever to use the specified viscosity in today's engines with cylinder deactivation and other oil pressure triggered functions.

Now, if you're running a "built" engine, then do what that builder tells you to do.