Don't Wax Vinyl Stripes

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger Cleaning and Detailing Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Mar 12, 2012.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

There are three major manufactures of vinyl stripes: 3M, Oracal and Avery. Vinyl stripes are not all the same. They are created to be used in specific situations. From outdoor to indoor, from cars to signs, the vinyl industry creates decals that cater to specific applications. You would not believe how many different blends of vinyl that one company can create. In vehicle lettering alone, Oracal has over 20 different "blends" to choose from. That's over 20 blends, from 1 of 10 categories that cater strictly to outdoor use! Indoor graphics consist of 6 more categories, each with their own set of blends.

The vinyl material for lettering and stripes vary in quality due to their plasticizer content. This plasticizer content consist of various materials/chemicals and determines how long the stripes will last. This also determines how long of a warranty you will get with your stripes/lettering. Each company has their own "secret recipe" that makes up their plasticizer content. One very interesting thing about the warranty of vinyl stripes. They are warranted based on a sliding scale, depending on where you are located. In other words, a 10 year warranty is not 10 years in Arizona or Texas, like it would be in New York or North Dakota. The warranty is also based on the vertical plane. That means the stripes on the side of your car is where the warranty is applied, not the horizontal parts. The horizontal parts are NOT warrantied because the elements of weather are too brutal to warranty that part. That's why I keep a car cover on my Challenger and don't let the sun ruin them in the summer.

Care for your vinyl stripes can be very specific, depending on what you have. The only thing you should be doing is washing your stripes with a mild car wash soap and water. Do not wax your stripes. Waxing the stripes will dry up the plasticizing content in the vinyl and cause them to fail well before their supposed lifetime. It also adversely affect their appearance by making them turn white.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

As always, SRT-Tom, you are a wealth of much appreciated information. Thank you

3. Bullishman13

Bullishman13 Full Access Member

I'm about to remove mine. I'm just not a fan of the fake carbon fiber stripes. Dodge meant well, but should've just painted the hood flat black. Damn bean counters seem to have it over every major manufacturer.

4. dC.mx

dC.mx Full Access Member

I wouldn't remove since it's looks more agressive with the stripes..

5. genotex

genotex Full Access Member

and Everybody Knows

Stripes add 8-10 Horsepower !!!

:favorites37:

6. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

15hp on an import

7. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

Great info Tom.

8. Bullishman13

Bullishman13 Full Access Member

I'm planning on a new hood anyways :favorites37:

I hate the vinyl stripes, can't do much but baby it.

9. walnetto

walnetto Full Access Member

Gee, just when I was thinking of adding stripes to my car.

10. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Here is some additional information from the stripe manufacturers' websites:

3M

Most standard graphic films and overlaminates can be polished or waxed with a high quality car wax. Before use, test and approve in an inconspicuous area. Do not use any abrasive polishes or cutting compounds. For the carbon fiber and brushed metal films in Scotchprint® Wrap Film Series 1080, a polishing product such as 3M™ Tire Restorer or Meguiars® Natural Shine Protectant may be used. We do not recommend any polishing or wax product for the matte or textured films.

Oracal

Do not apply carnauba-based wax over vinyl graphics.
    Once dry, for added protection, you may apply a silicone or Teflon based polish designed for vinyl vehicle graphics. (Read and follow product manufactures directions and suggestions for frequency.)

Avery

Don't apply wax over graphics, especially if the wax contains any petroleum distillates. If you desire to use wax on the graphics, be sure to read the directions and warning notices that may apply to Vinyl Graphics. Wax that has dried between stripes can be removed by softening it with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs. Be sure to rinse the area after cleaning.