Lifter Noise

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by jerrbear, Sep 30, 2014.

1. jerrbear

jerrbear Member

Just purchased a 2013 RT with the 5.7 Hemi. Car has 4000 miles on it. Have some lifter noise at startup but not all the time. If car sits for a number of days it happens more often. Dealer says not uncommon for the Hemi. Have any of you folks had this issue? Comments!

2. gtoranch

gtoranch New Member

I have a 2013 rt plus, have the same problem since new, still under 4000 miles, they have adjusted some guides under valve covers, did not correct, they told me Dodge knows there is a problem but they do not know how to fix it. They gave me a copy a of Star case S1209000017 that says air is trapped in the lifters and instructs mech to run engine between 2000 to 3000 rpms for 3 to 5 mins, return to idle speed for 30 to 60 seconds, if noise still present run an additional 4 cycles. Not a fix as far as I am concerned. They have since pulled the heads and replaced all the lifters and still have same problem and now it taps loud at around 1500 to 1700 rpms while in town. Took back in and they cant reproduce condition.

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I would switch to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. That may quiet or eliminate the lifter noise. That is what I use on my 6.1 and I have zero noise.

Also, it should be noted, that many Challengers with 5.7 automatics experience a ticking noise due to the MDS system. The way the system works is that there are solenoids that open and close to shut off oil flow to the lifters (and fuel injectors) to intermittent cylinders while the motor is under no or very light load. The sound you hear is that of partially "collapsed" lifters.

You can demonstrate this by turning off the MDS system with a hand held programmer.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  4. plumb2013

plumb2013 New Member

2014 R/T lifter noise

Just purchased a 2014 Challenger R/T with only 320 miles on it. Beautiful car, rides perfect, BUT I'm hearing what sounds like lifter noise. Brought it to my local Dodge dealership, they said it's fine. IDK. Has anyone out there exsperianced the same thing? :(

5. slidd

slidd Member

Lots of these engines tick and make noise. My 14 doesn't really tick but will do the sewing machine clatter sound every now and then around 18-2000 rpm. Different oil did not help. I think it's just slack in the valvetrain but as with most new cars, it is not adjustable.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

6. 10DYRT

10DYRT Full Access Member

My 2010 Challenger and 2015 Ram both have what the guys around here call "The Hemi Tick" both vehicles are perfectly quiet once they warm up.(Temp gauge up about 1/4 )

7. gyza

gyza Member

My 2015 RT Shaker had the same ticking noise. At around 4k miles the sevice engine light turned on. Took it in and they had to replace the top end of the motor. I was not a happy camper whe the guy said "this is common on the Hemi" SMH!

8. 10DYRT

wow, I haven't heard of it being that serious of a problem. Is that the 392?
    Did they tell you what exactly the issue was?

9. gyza

gyza Member

The paperwork showed they replaced cam, lifters, tappets and some other parts. It also said the issue was caused by abnormal wear. Its the 5.7L

10. 10DYRT

Have you checked if there was factory recall? cause they obviously knew about it or wouldn't have acted on it so fast.