So many tuners and I am lost on all of them

Discussion in 'Challenger R/T Engine & Performance Modifications' started by Stien, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Stien

Stien Member

After taking my car to the track... I want more power. I already have the CAI and Flowmaster exhaust so now I am looking into other stuff. My list seems to keep growing. It looks like a tuner would be a great step, especially if I plan on running Nitrous at some point (which would be cool, but I need to do more research.) I have read through a few threads asking about specific tuners, but I have not seen any threads pointing me in any direction. It seems like most people stick to the Diablo Sports, but it also looks like Bully dog gets decent reviews as well. My price range is between 300-400 or so. Does anyone have any suggestions and why they would suggest that tuner? I know people have a personal bias on a lot of things, which is why I want reasons.

I want more power!:signs6:

2. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Active Member

I run mainly at HMP an 1/8th mile track. my 1st pass was 9.6@77mph stock. Ive got that to 8.5's at 83+ with my Predator tune and the mods in my sig

3. Stien

Stien Member

Diablo seemed to be the standard when it comes to tuning these things. I went ahead and just ordered the Diablosport inTune. Looks like that it adds finesse to the excellence that the predator offered. I should be getting it in this weekend, so i look forward to fiddling with it.

4. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Active Member

The predator has been discontinued, the InTune took it's place at a slightly higher price. I''m running a slightly modified 93cai tune with 93 octane gas + a dash of e-85 to jack up the octane a couple of points. I was getting a little knock retard, it's gone now and the car runs strong even in this Texas heat.

5. Stien

Stien Member

I saw the predator was discontinued, but I like the size and the interface of the inTune.

Were you getting engine knock on 93 octane prior to using the tuner or after?

6. Lashlarue

Lashlarue Active Member

After. I had a dyno and the operator said I was a little lean.Didn't pay for a tune.So I added some fuel, but too much, then put 2* more timing, after I slowed about .2. Then I was getting some st knock but no lt knock. Put a gallon of e-85, no more knock and my car is running likea dog with his tail on fire

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  7. Stien

Stien Member

I am completely lost now. I guess this really leads to the question of how likely it will be that I have issues using a tuner and the pre set tunes.

8. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

I have had the InTune for about a year now. I am satisfied. I like the ease of use. I also like the ability to modify the tune if desired. I am looking at doing a cam, headers and a 85mm throttle body so I will need to tune it. If you do mods and then go to a shop to tune it, you will need a tuner. I like DS because most of the shops are familiar with it and can work within the parameters of the DS programming

9. Stien

Stien Member

Great information. I don't like having shops do work on my vehicles, but I am conceding to it on my challenger. I have been reading a lot about dyno tuning. I think that is a little down the road, but definitely a destination along the way.

10. Stien

Stien Member

I just got my DS inTune and got it set up. I like the fact that you can unplug it. I initially set it up on the MPG economy setting with 87 octane in the tank. I have felt a little difference in the overall engine, not that I expected much on the MPG tune. I noticed that the RPM doesn't fall as fast as it used to. I assume this is normal, but would like confirmation that I set things up correctly.

p.s. I have a manual, so it is obvious when the RPM doesnt drop when the clutch is in or I am coasting in neutral.