1. Dakota21601

Dakota21601 Member

Okay, so I am a long time dreamer of an SRT8. Going to be my hobby car not soon enough, but I am always torn between the 6.1 and the 6.4. Before I start, please understand I do not intend this to be a debate over which is better and badder, etc. I know that both these are badass engines but want to narrow down the pros/cons of each with performance mods, etc. to make my decision easier.

I have always been a 6.1 fan due to the fact that they are non MDS motors. MDS just turns me off to some degree as I am not into the "fluff" of mpg savings gadgetry and the like. Also, maybe leaning towards a shorter stroke motor for possible future forced induction would be a better "long term" option? Thoughts? That's about it for the 6.1.

Now the 6.4. What do I like about it? uh.....392....nuff said? Like I mentioned the mds is a little bit of a turn off, but it's a 392....HEMI......Also, I have read that they handle boost very well in the 10lb range but over that may take some additional thought. But, I don't need a 9 second car. If I was running with Hellcats, I would be more than wetting myself.....lol. As I have drove a Hellcat and that is more than enough in my opinion.

So, again, I know there are benefits to each, and I just want to know what I am looking at getting and lock it in. I hate going back and forth with well, maybe a 6.4, but the 6.1....but the 6.4.....so that is the purpose for this post. My plans for one are nothing off the chart, but intake, full header back exhaust, suspension, wheels, blah, blah.....but then possibly forced induction......probably forced induction....haha. So I want to start with the right car. Thanks!

2. dC.mx

dC.mx Full Access Member

I dont understand why dont you like mds.. ?

You cant even notice it..

Id rather go newer car..

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I have a 6.1 and I am glad that I don't have MDS. I am "old school" and feel that it doesn't belong in a muscle car.

But, more importantly, there have been many 5.7 engines with broken timing chains. Many attribute this problem to MDS.

4. Dakota21601

Dakota21601 Member

Basically, that is exactly why. If I am buying a muscle car, that I want to romp light to light, and be true to form, I don't need fluff like MDS to "save" gas. Just one more electronic gremlin to deal with turning on/off, etc. Also, modifying them becomes more pricey from the reports I have heard. I like the 392, but would take one without MDS hands down if they offered it. it really has nothing to do with "noticing" it, and everything to do with "dealing" with it.

5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

You could get the best of both worlds- a 6.4 manual. That version does not have MDS- it's only with the auto. trans.

6. Dakota21601

Dakota21601 Member

Whoa! I didn't know that....I was gonna get a manual. Yikes....that really changes things.....lol You couldn't have said anything I wanted to hear more....