6.4L K&N Filters void the warranty??

Discussion in 'Challenger SRT8 Engine & Performance Modifications' started by SRTSammy, Nov 30, 2011.

1. 1analguy

1analguy Member

So, you're implying that what I should have done was take my brand new, unused K&N filter out of its box and washed it, dried it, and then oiled it myself before using it for the very first time...because K&N apparently doesn't know how to oil their own filters, right? I mean, obviously, a first time end user is going to do a much better job oiling one of K&N's filters than the people who designed the thing in the first place...

The only way the K&N that I bought new, still sealed in its package, was not going to foul my MAF sensor is if it had not been oiled at all, and that would make it nothing more than a dry rag with holes in it...which might allow more dirt through to the engine, but at least it could do no oil-mist harm to the MAF sensor that way.

People keep pointing out that PCV oil mist also goes into the intake, but understand that PCV oil mist happens downstream from the MAF sensor. That is specifically why they introduce the PCV discharge where they do: so it won't harm the MAF sensor. That sensor needs scrupulously clean, oil-free air flow in order to survive and perform its function...so, if you'll notice, the PCV connection from the "oil filler" is made after the MAF sensor has already seen its clean, dry air. Now you want to introduce an oil mist source upstream from the sensor? Why, when it's not necessary? The car comes from the factory with an actual cold air box and a nice paper filter element. If that isn't good enough for you...if you're so very sure that Chrysler purposely strangled your engine with the stock cold air setup by using a filter element that's intentionally too small, then the logical thing for you to do would be to simply remove the stock filter element altogether (since you apparently don't care about a bit of dust going through your engine). That way, at least you'd be retaining the factory cold air setup. Of course, if one of your goals is for your engine to draw hot air from the engine bay, and another is to needlessly spend money, then I can understand why you'd want an aftermarket "cold air" setup. Me? I solved my "problem" by not changing anything at all...and my car runs perfectly. Obviously, YMMV...

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

A better option is to use the MOPAR CAI that uses a dry filter. It is made by AEM.

This is what it looks like.

Attached Files: