F1 Tires

Discussion in 'Challenger Wheels, Tires and Brakes Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Nov 14, 2013.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

A word of caution to you guys with F1 Goodyear Supercar tires.

Goodyear does not recommend that you drive on F1s when the temperature is below 40 degrees. Besides feeling like you are driving on hockey pucks, the tires can actually tear when the temperature gets into the 20s.

These are purely warm weather (summer) tires.

2. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

That is a big info needed. Tire shop wouldn't have told you that.

3. Wilfredopr

Wilfredopr Member

What is the tread wear on these tires?

4. SRT-Tom

The treadwear rating is only a 220AA. Because the F1 is a summer ultra-performance tire, it is made of a softer rubber compound. Depending on how aggressive you drive, they may last for 14-16,000 miles. A great treadwear rating for mileage would be in the 600 range.

Here is an explanation, from Tire Rack, of how treadwear ratings are determined:

Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

5. Wilfredopr

Wilfredopr Member

Thanks for the info.

6. redbullssg

redbullssg Active Member

These tires are awesome for warm weather traction, and if my car was on the track /road coarse, they would be a must have.... But, for every day driving, I can't stand the sound of pebbles being thrown all over my paint and inner fenders.. It drives me crazy! And forget trying to do a burnout, or well, I should say burning the tires off in an intersection.... They cause wheel hop something fierce due to the grip... Track, awesome..... Fun everyday, not so much....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

7. SRT-Tom

A good comprise tire is the highly rated Continental Extreme Contact DWS all-season tire.