Barracuda to Replace Challenger?

Discussion in 'Challenger News, Articles and Media Reviews' started by SRT-Tom, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

I too am very happy that the "retro" movement happened and that I was in a good enough financial position to purchase the only "retro" car I would have have wanted.

The 'Cuda concept is a drawing that was not done by Chrysler, but an artist with no ties to Chrysler. He also did an amazing Charger concept drawing that, if produced, would make me reconsider the Challenger....and I have never been a Charger fan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His name is Michael Leonhard. He also did a Road Runner concept based on the '71-'72 Road Runner,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An artist named Doug Schramm did an AAR 'Cuda and hemi 'Cuda based on the modern Challenger body
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now where the whole Barracuda revival gets interesting is that Chrysler applied, and was approved, to trademark the name barracuda last year.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  2. walnetto

walnetto Full Access Member

Now where the whole Barracuda revival gets interesting is that Chrysler applied, and was approved, to trademark the name barracuda last year.

But what I read is that someone else owns the 'cuda name and they don't have it. That is what they will want for the 392.

3. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

The 'Cuda name is owned by Dan Gurney's All American Racers (AAR) and he and Chrysler do not get along from what I have read.

But honestly 'Cuda or Barracuda won't really have an effect on potential buyers. And somehow I think, with the increased CAFE standards coming in 2015, the 392 will come to an end in 2014. I expect to see a return to smaller, forced induction V6's and I4's. And since the press release saying "an inside source says a return of the Barracuda" also mentions European and 60's influences (remember the original Barracuda "big engine" was a 273), I expect smaller and not muscle car...ala Dart

4. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

I gotta agree. The Barracuda is not going to be retro muscle. With the eye on higher mpg I can see a V6 or less. Still should be a pretty nice ride.

5. m23mike

m23mike Member

Challenger should not go