New and in need of advice

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Jim 68cuda, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda New Member

New to modern Mopars and hope to learn from this site and hope to be able to contribute as well.

A couple months ago I bought a 2014 Challenger RT. Love the car (certainly a step up from the VW Passatt wagon that was my old daily driver). But I have one little problem that others must have experienced as well. Its the remote start. Is a nice feature and on some cold morning it will come in handy.
    But meanwhile, I find that when ever I have the key fob in my pocket, the engine starts and stops on it's own. While at home, I typically keep the key fob in a drawer rather than my pocket. But when I'm out, thats not an option. I have tried keeping the key fob in a pocket by itself, but that doesn't make a difference. I know that if I step up into my Dodge Ram truck with the key fob in my pocket, or if I sit down with it in my pocket, it will start. But sometimes it starts when I am standing or walking and no, my pants are not too tight.

Yesterday's start and stop prompted me to find an answer and that is what brought me here. Yesterday I had the key fob in my pocket as I was about to go out. But I made a pit stop before leaving. So there I was, sitting in the bathroom, reading a magazine, and I heard the Challenger start out in the driveway, and then a few seconds later it stopped. The remote start feature was being activated in my pocket even though my jeans were down around my ankles as I sat there.

I have two key fobs. Is it possible to disable the remote start button on one of the key fobs or do I need to find a way to disable the feature completely?

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Welcome to Challengerforum.

Yes, there is a way to disable the remote start. But, before you do this, try cleaning the inside of the key fob. Graphite from the buttons inside of the fob sometimes causes a build up. This creates an electronic contact which sends the auto start signal to the car (or door unlock or trunk open), just as if you had pressed the button yourself.

The key fob comes apart very easily. Just follow the instructions in the following link:

http://www.challengerforum.com/f34/how-replace-key-fob-battery-your-challenger-329/

If cleaning doesn't do the trick you can disable the remote start. Open the hood and on the right side of the engine compartment there is a switch, remove the switch and that should disable it. The switch is for the hood. A plunger is released when the hood is open. Simply take the switch out of its holder and leave it connected to the wiring so that the plunger is out and not pushed in. That should do it.

3. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I will try your suggestions and let you know how it works.