R/T Scat Pack vs R/T

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by 68383, Mar 25, 2017.

1. 68383

68383 Active Member

Spring is coming and I'm officially on the hunt for a Challenger.

I've mainly been looking at '15 / '16 Scat Packs and drove a couple today. Neither of the dealers I went to had R/Ts. When I asked the salesmen to back up their statements that "the Scat Pack is significantly better," I basically got the car lot equivalent of, "because I said so."

My real question is if the additional power and handling is that significant that it warrants the extra when it comes to the price tag.

Any opinions? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Golfnut

Golfnut Active Member

I was a manufacturer's sales rep for several lines of bass boats from the early 1980s thru 1999. I worked a lot of boat shows over the years and met a lot of bass boat buyers. I can't tell you how many guys I met over the years that would comment something to the effect of "The boat I bought was rated for a 200 HP; but, I got it with the 150 HP engine to save some dollars. I sure wish I had gotten it with the 200 HP. I'd really like that extra performance." However, I NEVER had someone say they had gotten the max HP on the boat and wished they had gone with the less expensive engine. Think about that.

Now, in my own case I just bought a 2013 R/T because I didn't feel I could justify the additional expense of the larger engine or of a newer model. If the money isn't an issue at all, go for the Scat Pack. If money does have a bearing on your decision then only you can decide if the extra performance of the larger engine is worth whatever sacrifice you have to make to afford to buy it. Good luck. Whatever your decision, be sure to enjoy it.

3. rtchallenger12

rtchallenger12 Full Access Member

If you can afford a higher model then get it IMO
    I'd personally take, say, a brand new SRT392 over my R/T any day
    But with what I wanted and the convenience of what I chose (R/T Classic with Super Track Pak) I'm extremely happy with the performance
    I've never driven any Challenger but my own, but I can for sure tell you I wouldn't get a lower model than what I got
    Get what you can afford! Any of them (except the V6s) are a beast of cars and any of them would be a great choice
    The only thing though, is it really depends on what YOU want in a car, if you're wanting a fast and powerful one then I'd checkout SRTs, but for more practical, every day use (I.e. Better on gas) but still have a nice strong car then the R/Ts are great

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  4. 68383

68383 Active Member

Good advice. Thanks, guys.

I've had a chance to drive both now and I could feel that the SRT engine was a bit more snappy than the R/T's.

It also seemed to brake better, and handle a bit differently.

The wallet isn't a barrier, although I want to get as much as I can for as little as possible.

5. rtchallenger12

rtchallenger12 Full Access Member

I get exactly what you mean, the only bad thing though is when you want to save your money but later down the road want more power!
    Then you're stuck adding tons of money to get the power and the all around performance that the higher model had when you could've already had it all

6. Climber

Climber Full Access Member

I opted for the 2016 R/T Plus because it had the color, interior and the 5.7 Hemi. The price was doable and the dealer did negotiate down from sticker. The car had been on the lot for maybe four months with no takers because of the 6 speed tranny. If the car had the V6 I would not have bought it and I mean no disrespect to the V6 owners out there. The V6 is a good motor but I am a first generation '70 Challenger owner....340 4speed, Plum Crazy.....this is my second go a round with the Challenger so, for me it had to have a V8. Now, if my present Challenger had the 392 Hemi along with the other goodies, I would have done the deal. There was a higher end R/T in 2016 that offers the 392 but they are few and far between. I would have paid the "gas guzzler tax" and hit the highway. I am very happy with my 5.7 Hemi and I have not looked back. 375 HP/410 FT LBS of twist is more than I will ever need. So, 68383....Follow your heart and your budget. If you can get the 392 over the 5.7, let it rip and live with it. You have an interesting handle. Is there a story behind it? It sounds old school power shift to me.

See you on the highway. If you ever happen around South Park in Colorado and see a 2016 R/T in Plum Crazy haulin' ass down the road, that will be and my beloved engaging in our version of the post middle aged crazies.

Walker17 likes this.
  7. 68383

68383 Active Member

I'm convinced after driving both- the Scat Pack is where it's at for me.