New Guy looking to pull the trigger on a 2014 SRT8...soon!!

Discussion in 'Prospective Challenger Owners Forum' started by swamp, Jan 23, 2014.

1. swamp

swamp New Member

I fell in love in 2007...with the debut of the 2008 Challenger at the Detroit Auto Show. I knew at that moment I had to have one, but couldn't afford it. At the time I was restoring a '68 Chevelle SS...my 'original dream car'. I was always a Chevy guy but MOPAR has always had some badass muscle cars. Challengers, Chargers, Darts, Dusters...but when it came to old school muscle I wanted a Chevelle. Then Dodge decided to bring back old school looks with modern day muscle in 2008 and I was hooked. It took me until 2013 to bring myself to dump my old flame and sell the Chevelle. I realized that by the time I would finish restoring the car the way I really wanted it, I could have bought a Challenger for the same price. It finally clicked in my head that I could have a modern day monster SRT8 with performance features that nobody had even dreamed of in 1968. Not to mention, the Challenger just looks mean and nasty...and Dodge got it right. Chevy tried with the new Camaro, but missed the mark in my opinion. Ford Mustang...ehhhh....was never a fan. Challenger is the one!!! So, I am ready to let 'er rip and order a black SRT8 with as many factory upgrades as they will allow on the order sheet. My only fear is that as soon as I drop the $20k down payment and place the order, that Dodge will release the Hellcat for production. I don't want to wait based on rumors of a car nobody has actually seen...with a price tag that I probably can't afford. I think I will be one happy camper with the SRT8 in my garage. So my question to you forum folks...when it comes to appearance mods, where is a good place to shop? I am talking wheels, rally stripes, custom appearance parts (interior and exterior and under hood) etc. Also, when it comes to performance mods to an SRT8...where do I begin??

2. RT_6Speed

RT_6Speed Full Access Member

Couldn't agree more on the thought that Dodge really hit the nail on the head with the design of the Challenger. Having said that the 68 / 69 Chevelle is one of my all time muscle car favorites. But, as to your questions... the Hellcat has been a rumor for a while but I do think they are probably going to release one in 2015 or 2016.

The consensus of the rumors is the price will be north of $60,000 not including the dealer's applying a "market adjustment" that most of us went through in 08 and early 09. I think it is entirely possible street price may be closer to $70,000 or more when its all said and done. Just my opinion though.

The 392's are pretty bad street cars just the way they come. 475 tq/hp is nothing to sneeze at I don't car if the car is 4,000 lbs. When that power seems like its not enough there are plenty enough turbo/blower setups available that can get 600ish but not without risk. The piston strength of the 392 with boost is questionable.

The 392's are starting to show up on the used lots/Ebay and can be had for a pretty decent less-than-new price. If you want to dress one up there are plenty of vendors that make great cosmetic pieces. If you want more power... plenty of vendors that can build you a budget-busting 1,000 hp build if you want to drop the coin.

No matter what you do just having a Challenger is a lot of fun. I still enjoy just driving mine with, as Chuck Berry said, no particular place to go :)

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I would order a new Challenger SRT. You will love the performance and looks. I wouldn't wait for the 6.2 Hellcat. It will be too expensive and you could get the same horsepower by installing an Edelbrock E-force supercharger for about $6K (exclusive of labor). Check out the Supporting Vendors on this site for parts. I would also recommend:

Billet Technology Your Trusted Source for Custom Billet Accessories for your Modern Mopar Vehicle

http://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/Dodge_Challenger_s/40.htm

http://dodgepartsonline.net/shop/DODGE/

RiderGraphix.com 2008 & Up Dodge Challenger Stripes Graphics Decals Dodge Charger Graphics Ford Mustang Graphics Chevy Silverado Graphics Retro Custom Graphics Stripes Decals Boss Hockey Stick HEMI

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014