R/T Shaker vs Scat Pack

Discussion in 'Prospective Challenger Owners Forum' started by Flrscnt Snapper, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Flrscnt Snapper

Flrscnt Snapper New Member

My quest towards Challenger ownership began last July, I realized it was time to start looking for a new car for myself but I didn't really know where to start. I began by just looking at cars on the road, then a '16 Mustang that's always parked near my workplace caught my eye. After looking into the Mustang, I inevitably came across the classic Challenger vs Mustang vs Camaro argument-- and it was all over for me, Challenger or bust.

Now, after half a year of searching, I am between a '14 R/T Shaker and a '15 Scat Pack.

I haven't tested either, gotta wait until the end of winter or I know I'll buy one right away.

Anyone driven both? Own one or the other? What opinions are out there on these two packages? Is the extra HP worth the extra $ on the Scat Pack?

I've talked about this with the gearhead in my office, he says "Get the Hellcat guy!"

Looking forward to hearing what anyone may have to say on the matter.

Thanks, F. Snapper

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

It depends what you want.

The 2014 R/T shaker with the 5.7 Hemi is good for 375 hp. For most owners, that is enough power.

However, if you want the best bang for your performance buck, get the 2015 Scat Pack with the 6.4 (392 cu. in.) engine. It has 485 hp and is a real monster. This engine was previously only available in the top-of-the-line SRT model.

You should test drive both.

As far as the Hellcat, if you have $65,000+ to spend on a Challenger and feel you need a supercharged 707 hp engine, go for it. The car is basically made for the track. You will never be able to use its fantastic power on the street because you will either total it or wind up arrested.

3. chithead

chithead Full Access Member

I'd lean towards the Scat Pack as well, but having an R/T Plus, might be difficult to give up some of the luxury features it's equipped with now. Decision time might depend on whether you want creature comforts, or that raw adrenaline rush from Mo Powa!