1320 or widebody

Discussion in 'Prospective Challenger Owners Forum' started by Bobcat, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat Active Member

I've been thinking about getting a Scat Pack for a few years now, but really got serious a couple months ago and the recent bump in trade values will really help. I found a guy that will place an order for 1% under supplier price plus give me about $5k more for my Mustang than two years ago when I almost ordered one.

Anyway, I'm torn between the 1320 and Widebody trims and almost ordered each of them but changed my mind at the last minute. I also started questioning my color choice recently. I originally wanted octane, but when sinamon came out I said I have to get that color. But after seeing a Widebody in F8 with red calipers, I think it looks the best in that trim. I also like go mango and hellraisin, but think I'll stick with sinamon if I go with the 1320.

So I did a pro and con list of each which seems to be a wash. 1320: quickest N/A trim, rarest and I like the side profile. It is the best bang-for-the-buck in the 392 and is about 4k less than the Widebody the way I have them optioned. But I would most likely have to buy two sets of wheels and tires vs just a winter set if I went with the WB and you have to get the black seats.

WB: I love the front end, but the side view looks a little funny to me at times. It handles better. The flat bottom steering wheel is nice and you can get the caramel seats which I really like. But they are not as rare and I would be anxious about going through the car wash or a tight drive-thru due to the flares. Plus it might look funny with narrower wheels in the winter.

I would be using the car as mainly a DD and have never been to the track, but wouldn't mind trying it if I were to get the 1320. It sounds like it may be a fun hobby. The dealer I am going with has owned both trims and he says he likes the WB much more and he used to be into drag racing.

I do understand it supposedly drives and handles better, but there are not that many curves in my area to really use it to its full potential anyway unless I went out of my way to find a good road. On the other hand, I asked some guys on a 1320 forum and they all really like it and they say with some decent tires it drives very good. What do you guys think? The dealer is starting to say he can't hold the current trade value much longer as it seems to be starting to trend back down, but then again the factory is closed until the end of the month anyway. I know I need to make a decision...unless I just wait and check out the new Nissan Z next month or pay off the remaining balance on my Mustang by about this time next year and then maybe re-evaluate what is available at that time.

IDK, a loaded WB is getting dangerously close to Hellcat pricing, but then again you have to consider higher insurance, operating and maintenance costs, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2021
  2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

It is tough to pull the trigger on such an expensive purchase. Asking us really should NOT sway your opinion since we each have different likes and dislikes. You just have to decide for yourself. I think it's wonderful you are getting extra $$$ for your Mustang. That certainly helps.
    I wish you the best and I have a feeling you will be very happy with whatever you order. You can overthink it to death!

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

For a daily driver, I would buy the Scat Pack Widebody.

The 1320, although a limited production car, is made for the drag strip. It has the Demon's adaptive dampers and launch-friendly suspension setup, a transmission brake, a line-lock feature for burnouts, Nexen N'Fera SUR4G Drag Spec tires (275/40-20 with a 100 treadwear rating), and only a driver's seat.

4. Bobcat

Bobcat Active Member

Yeah, I know all the specs of the 1320. But it just seems like such a good deal. For reference a regular Scat with dynamics, adaptive suspension and Brass Monkey wheels would end up costing a couple grand more and not be as fast. But it would have better looking wheels and I could get the tan seats.

If I were to get the 1320 I would add the plus package seats and get the upgraded audio etc. I know it adds a little weight, but like I said it would be mainly a DD. I already know I would have to buy another set of wheels and tires and likely one more set for the winter. IDK, I told the dealer I wanted to go with it yesterday and all I have to do is call him to put down the deposit.

I hope I'm not making a mistake. It just seems like a waste not to get the fastest trim if I get a 392 considering the competition is getting faster. I thought about staying with another Mustang, but just had two of them in a row. The Mach 1 looks like a good option if I were as it is different than the regular GT, but still not all that different and its a little pricey.

IDK, I could still go with the WB, but I'm sure the dealer doesn't have much patience left in me. I spent a couple months a couple summers ago almost getting one, but never did obviously. At that time my equity wasn't near as good though and I was trying to decide between a regular Scat and a shaker then. I also thought about going with the WB with Shaker, but that is getting really pricey that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2021
  5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

6. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

"DON'T Settle" get what you want or you will be sorry.

As far as "dealer doesn't have much patience" find another Dealer.

I had to hit Oregon, Washington, Idaho, & Montana
    before I found my Black, M6, SRT
    And they were saving two of them for me to choose from, not 300 miles away, on a Subaru Lot. Remember, not everything ends up on a Dealer Search, do your own research.

And yes, you can listen to the "Know it all's" on the internet, but mostly only for Entertainment Value or to get your Blood Pressure up from the Stupid things they say. Especially the PAID YouTubers.

You will KNOW which car, once you drive it.
    It is a difficult decision, but once you figure it out "DON'T Settle"

NC20RT likes this.
  7. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

Think of it like picking a spouse…..make sure it’s what you can live with, as mentioned above.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2021
    Cloverdale and NC20RT like this.
  8. Bobcat

Bobcat Active Member

Dang, I'm still no closer to deciding guys. I'm still leaning towards the 1320, but I'm even considering the regular scat pack again. I mean I love the looks of the optional brass monkey wheels and the fact that you can get the tan interior. But like I said, it is actually slightly more expensive than the 1320 and will never be as fast if you mod them similar. I guess I could always get aftermarket wheels and different seat covers at some point, but it is much more expensive that way. I really love the look of the front of the WB though. I could always get a hellcat front end if I get the standard scat or 1320 and were to hit something some day and then it would be awesome looking. To put a wrench in the mix so to speak, I stopped by the local dealer to look at their 18 SRT today and it is sharp too. Its loaded and is in Torred. Funny, I looked at that color before and thought it was too bright, but I thought it looked pretty good especially with the black wheels. I really didn't want to get a used car, but the SRT's are kind of rare. It has just over 13k miles and they are asking 47k which is way too much IMO. I bet the 1320 would look good in that color too.

9. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

LoL @Bobcat

The Sticker Price is the last thing to worry about with these cars.

We just don't want you to say to yourself in a month:
    "Damn, I should have got the 1320"

And you can buy the rims you like later.

I came so close to settling, and then BAM, my car just showed up.

NC20RT likes this.
  10. Bobcat

Bobcat Active Member

No, I'm not really worried about the sticker price as I can afford either (although a loaded WB shaker would be pushing it). I'm just worried that I may choose the wrong trim and/or a possible better car might come out later in the year (Nissan Z or STI) or if I should just wait and maybe get a hellcat next year. Although one of those would most likely overkill for the street 98% of the time.