2016 SXT NOISE ON THE HWY

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by Richard Kubica, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Richard Kubica

Richard Kubica Member

A few weeks ago my 16 SXT+ ( 57k trouble free miles ) developed a noise that I’ve been unable to diagnose. The noise is detected above 30-35 mph with the windows closed- quieter the better. The sound seems to be coming from the front left . It is not engine related as putting the vehicle in neutral has no bearing on the noise . Best description is it’s a low pitched grumble. As the car slows down it can be described as a clicking. The vehicle stops and drives normally- no vibrations, pulling stops as it should. I checked the tires for nails & all good. I brought to mechanic who heard the noise and he changed the driver’s side wheel bearing. I drove the car the next day and sound is still present. Has anyone else encountered a sound like this . Some people I’ve had in the car don’t hear it but it’s there . All opinions welcome.

2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Is it definitely a metal type sound similar to that bad bearing??
    A simple non-metallic sound like a 'grumble' could come from tires. I have experienced two instances where separated belts inside the tire caused a sound which might be considered similar. It's not an easy sound to diagnose. It foils some mechanics. It would be an expensive try to just buy a new tire but perhaps switch a rear to the front and see if it is the same sound??
    I'm throwing a guess at you but relating two personal experiences. There were no outward visual signs of issues on the tires but they were both past the 4 or 5 year mark as far as age. Are you on your original tires by chance? These separated belts happen once in a great while, and in my case, extreme FL highway heat along rough patches of I-4 contributed. Good luck!!

3. Wm TPA SXT

Wm TPA SXT Full Access Member

Drive Shaft Bushing Bearing ???

4. Richard Kubica

Richard Kubica Member

How would I check that out ?

5. Richard Kubica

Richard Kubica Member

The tires hav approximately 8K on them as do all 4 sets of pads . As I slow down around 30_35 mph you can make out the separate clicks. Someone today who heard it said it reminded them of as a kid putting a playing card in the spokes o your bicycle.

6. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

This happened to me years ago with Firestone tires.

7. Richard Kubica

Richard Kubica Member

These are Firestone fire hawks

SRT-Tom likes this.
  8. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

My money is on a bad tire too - belt separation. Don't procrastinate, just get that tire moved to the rear, and to the opposite side if it's not a directional tire. Listen if the noise moved.

9. baccaruda

baccaruda Full Access Member

you might want to turn the engine off and putting the trans into neutral going down the road and let it coast and see what happens? and see if that changes anything. just a thought....

10. Wm TPA SXT

Wm TPA SXT Full Access Member

Have to have the car on lifts or jack it safely check the center Drive Shaft Bearing
    [​IMG]