2018 Challenger, SXT, 6 Cylinder - Engine Noise

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by MattP, Jul 23, 2018.

1. MattP

MattP Member

Shortly after purchasing my 2018 SXT, I started noticing a sometimes subtle, sometimes loud clicking sound coming from the right front part of the engine. The sound is heard in the cabin, and mostly between 2500-4500 RPM's, and its much louder with the 'Sport' button engaged. I've seen similar references to this noise as the 'good 'ole Dodge V6 lifter-tick', however, this noise is much louder and more noticeable in the cabin, and well above idle.

I've taken it three times to a Dodge Dealership, twice to the same dealership, once to a different one. The first service visit they misdiagnosed after reading a service notice about suspension noise, lubricated something and called it a day, yet the noise persists. I then took it to another dealer for service, they heard it, but claim it's normal noise. After some strong feedback to the service manager back at dealership #1, I took it in for a 3rd time. This time the shop foreman rode with me, and definitely heard the sound and kept saying, 'that's weird'. Cut to the end of that service visit, I was told that's normal, and all the SXTs make that noise. This noise is loud enough that it can be heard over traffic and the loud radio in the car. I have a hard time believing this noise is normal, they wouldn't be selling them if was so normal, because the loud clicking is unbearable and embarrassing.

Does anyone else on the forum have this noise with their SXT?

2. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

you may have to find a dealer that will actually look into what you have wrong instead of listen and send you on your way... some dealers service dept are just parts replacers. and it is a shame that has come to this. but keep hunting one down eventually you will find one that will work for you. and no, that sound is not normal.

3. Tatt2Jack

Tatt2Jack Full Access Member

You have a "Sport" mode on ur SXT? what's it do? My '13 didn't doesnt one.

4. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

yeah, even the newer ones have sport mode, my wife's 2016 Grand Cherokee 3.6L has sport mode. much common now.