2022 Challenger Gets New Uconnect 5 Head Unit

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by 68MOPAR, Nov 4, 2021.

1. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

I've been thinking about trading our R/T in on a new 2021 Scat Pack. After seeing that the 2021 Durango received the new UConnect 5 head unit, I decided to inquire as to why the Challenger didn't receive the updated head unit? No firm answer there, but the 2022 Challenger (according to my source) will receive a new 8.4" UC5 head unit. The processors used in the UConnect 4 head units are no longer available, which means that no new UC4 replacement units are available. UC4 head units that breakdown will be limited to repairs only, as no (new) UC4 units are available.

Will the newest UC5 head unit be a compatible replacement for the UC4? If not, then I'll purchase a 2022 year model. If no UC5 in the 2022, its goodbye Challenger. We need to know if the Uconnect 5 head unit will retrofit into the 2015-2021 Challenger's.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  2. Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran Full Access Member

I read somewhere they are "totalling" vehicles due to busted radios that they cannot replace. But like our car it runs a whole lot of stuff

3. 68MOPAR

Not radios, but other vehicle dependent components. Allegedly...

I can't imagine that the new Uconnect 5 system won't be pre-2022 compatible. I looked at the latest Stellantis release on the 2022 Challenger, but it didn't mention the head unit or Uconnect 5. I may have to hunt-down a nice 1970's era Challenger or Camaro. I'm sick of all this high tech digital BS.

https://stellantis-na-product-media.info/uconnect

States here...
    Each automotive brand offers its own display design. Interestingly, Jeep, Ram, or Dodge won’t feature the same design. Of course, the Uconnect 5 Infotainment System is available in all of them from now on. However, menus won’t be quite the same which is another interesting outcome. What is identical is the fact that the system will get an upgraded 50K MIP chip and 6GB of RAM.

Furthermore, a 64GB flash memory is in the use. Thanks to these improvements, the technology will be allowed to work five-times-faster than the Uconnect 4. Lastly, the Alexa feature is finally available. The next-gen Uconnect5 will be firstly introduced in the upcoming 2021 Chrysler Pacifica minivan.

https://jeeptrend.com/uconnect-5-infotainment-system/

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  4. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

What's the difference between the UC5 head unit and the UC4?
    There is no mention of the UC5 being available on the 2022 Challenger.

5. 68MOPAR

The UC5 is an entirely new system. New processors and Android based software. 5 times faster than the UC4. From what I've been told by Dodge, the processors used to make the UC4 head unit are no longer being produced. I assume that whatever stock exists is being committed to repairing UC4 units. I would hope that the 8.4" UC5 (used in RAM) will retrofit UC4 equipped vehicles, but only Dodge knows for certain. Go check-out the latest JGC... They are all equipped with the UC5 head unit.

A Dodge salesman told me (last week) that his last training session included discussion of the UC5, and that the 2022 will receive UC5. Something tells me this is incorrect, but who knows? The 2021 models were supposed to get UC5, but they decided to stay with the antiquated UC4. Switching over to UC5 will probably happen when the UC4 units have been exhausted. Manufactures use JIT stock, so I don't see why they would be sitting on a significant number of UC4 head units.

6. stingray

I hope then I get the UC5 head unit which will be the last hurrah for the Challenger in 2063.

7. stingray

Looks like the 2022 Challenger will get the UC5 unit.:banana-mario::driver::hahano::head3::gay::chewie::big_banana_Dance::ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

8. 68MOPAR

What makes you say this? The clip doesn't reveal anything about 2022 technology.

9. Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran Full Access Member

And it is a 2020 car. Didnt he say 50th car?

10. 68MOPAR

I didn't hear anything about it that.