3-Cylinder High Performance Engines?

Discussion in 'The Champagne Room' started by SRT-Tom, Apr 7, 2021.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Information from carbuzz.com

Chevrolet has announced that, as of 2022, some Camaro cars will be powered by high-performance turbocharged three-cylinder engines.

This news will come as quite a shock for Chevy fans, but makes sense when you look at current performance offerings from brands such as Ford and Toyota. The current Ford Fiesta ST sold in Europe is powered by a turbocharged 1.5-liter three-cylinder and produces nearly 200 horsepower and 214 lb-ft of torque. The Toyota Yaris GT is even more impressive with a power output of 257 hp and 266 lb-ft of torque from its turbocharged 1.6-liter three-cylinder engine.

The current entry-level Camaro is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 275 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. Chevrolet engineers believe that those power figures can be reached, and even improved upon by its new three-cylinder motor.

"We have been considering going to three-cylinders for a while now," said Ted Kowalczyk, head of small capacity motors at Chevrolet. "The way the automotive industry is going, downsizing our engines, and focusing on efficiency is becoming a priority. We do believe that the new three-cylinder engines will be able to deliver the performance our customers have become accustomed to."

According to sources, the new three-cylinder engine will produce over 300 hp. Chevrolet has not mentioned the future of the V8 in the Camaro line, but rumors of a five-cylinder have been doing the rounds.

I wonder what it would sound like?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-chevrolet-trailblazer-fuel-economy-epa-ratings/

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Cloverdale likes this.
  2. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

I believe they are already going to cut out the V6 and one of the older V8 engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Won't a 3-cylinder turbo-charged engine be more stressed and wear out sooner?

4. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

not sure, I just had to get my daughter a new car and we bought a chevy trailblazer. it has a 1.3L turbo in it.
    seems like all the smaller engines now are going to be turbo engines.