5.7 Engine Gen

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by DrRocStar, Oct 4, 2020.

1. DrRocStar

DrRocStar New Member

I’ve recently acquired a 2012 challenger R/T I got from an auction. Car run except a loud mechanical ping that corresponds with the engine RPM. I’ve checked under the valve covers and noticed a lifter not lifting!?!? I’m looking for some guidance before I push it to the shop for repairs. I am mechanically inclined but by no way a master. The car has 173,xxx miles on the dash. Back story is the car is a repo. Did some research on the person who had it before me and to say the least he didn’t seem inclined to take care of the vehicle. Take a look at the video I put on YouTube and let me know what you think. Sorry I don’t have sound of the ticking. Had to cut the audio out of the video due to the conversation me and my wife was having lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

Welcome to the site!
    If you search 5.7 lifter issues on You Tube you’ll find several videos of lifter and cam lobe damage. Good luck with your repairs!!

3. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

Welcome!
    Yeah, you'll probably be doing some top end work. First thing I'd do is a compression test. May luck out and just have a collapsed lifter.
    Enough about that, you have me MUCH more interested in what you and your wife were talking about! :)