6.2 Hellcat Spotted!

Discussion in 'Challenger News, Articles and Media Reviews' started by SRT-Tom, Oct 24, 2013.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Check out these photos from Leftlane.com. They depict a Challenger SRT "mule" with a 6.2 SC Hellcat engine!

Note that you can see the INTERCOOLER with the blower under it! You don't see the pulley or snout because it sits low just like the ZL1, ZR1 or CTS-V.

It appears that the 6.2 will require a different exhaust. This may mean a new rear facia for the Challenger.

Allpar’s sources have said that the car will use the ZF HP90 automatic transmission, an eight-speed capable of around 650 lb-ft of torque. That sets an upper limit on the 6.2’s power output; horsepower is undetermined. Chrysler is shooting for 700 hp, but it will most likely be in the 600-650 hp range.

It will be unveiled at the Spring Fest 9 in California March 2014 and will be available for sale in July 2014 for $65,000+.

It's exciting to see that Dodge will be taking on Chevy and Ford, but $65K is too rich for my blood.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

That would be the beast of Challengers. To rich for me also, but wouldn't mind it in my driveway.

3. SRT-Tom

Ontariostreetcar is reporting that the 6.2 will have 640 hp. In addition, the hp. of Dodge's other engines will be increased- the 6.4 to 500 hp and the 5.7 to 410 hp.

OntarioStreetCar.com

4. RT_6Speed

RT_6Speed Full Access Member

$65K would be too much for me as well. 650ish hp is pretty bad (in that bad = good way) for a factory car. Traction on street tires is virtually impossible with 500 RWHP. I'm at the point now my next upgrade will probably be a 426 with a Kenne Bell. Not cheaper but cheaper than selling mine for a loss and dropping $65k for a Hellcat... that and the dealerships will probably add a $10,000 'market adjustment' for the first year or so.

5. oknahs

oknahs Member

ZF tranny

The new ZF has a torque range from 259 to 859 ft/lbs Its high enough for the Ram Diesel engines. I would like to see the SRT variant both in the Challenger and new Fiat platform Avenger. HP numbers 580 to 640 with pricing $58k to a extra $10k for the premium SRT version Avenger. Yes I am in the market for my last modern muscle car. After driving my daughters Challenger 392 I am hooked.

6. SRT-Tom

The new Hellcat 6.2 supercharged Hemi is scheduled to make its appearance in a Challenger at the Detroit Auto Show. Supposedly, only 1,000 will be built and they will cost $70-80,000! That's a ton of money. Probably will be bought by collectors and never see the light of day!

Here are two links:

News: HellCat on the way?

Supercharged 6.2 Hemi: ?HellCat V8?

7. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

Only 1000 will be built.....HA!

The first year maybe. And Plum Crazy was to be a one year only paint color to celebrate the 40th anniversary.

Dodge has a habit of promising exclusivity only to release more later.

8. SRT-Tom

I believe the 1,000 number. How many buyers are willing to pay $75-80,000?

You can get similar performance, much cheaper, by heavily modding a core SRT.

9. jonmandude

jonmandude Full Access Member

how many people plop down $65K on a Shelby GT 500 each year? Well more than 1000.

The Z28 is scheduled for 1100, all sold before release.

There has been 400 Veyrons...at over a $million.

I would bet they sell their 1000 the first year and we see it as a regular option the next

10. SRT-Tom

More Hellcat news from allpar:

"While relatively few of the HellCats will be made each year, due to their high price, their impact is likely to be strong, propelling SRT Dodges to magazine’s covers as they are compared with GT500 and Camaro SS. Sources are talking about horsepower figures anywhere from 660 on up, though torque on automatic-transmission cars is likely to be limited to 640. Challengers with six-speed manuals may have higher torque than their automatic-transmission brethren (Charger is expected to be automatic-only).

Most Challenger buyers opt for the standard V8 Hemi or V6 engines, and these will be greatly improved by the presence of the eight-speed automatic as well. Until now, the eight-speed did not fit into the Challenger; the “LA” body for the 2015s is the solution for that, and should provide the biggest boost to the V6. The Dodge Charger V6 now runs 0-60 in 6.6 seconds with 31 mpg highway, in rear wheel drive form — matching in acceleration the 2006 Charger Hemi.

“Danno” wrote that fog lights on the supercharged cars will be sacrificed in favor of a “wind tunnel,” which will take incoming air past oil and coolant coolers (one on each side) and eject it through openings in the wheel-wells. Engine air will enter through the front, go into the blower, then be sent up through runners to heat exchangers, moving down into the intake ports."