A/C recirculating issue

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by Cajunjon, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Cajunjon

Cajunjon Member

My air conditioner has started blowing warm air at idle when the recirculate option is on. It's fine at speed or without the recirculate on. Going through the car wash, I can smell the soap even with it on recirculate, and the air is barely cool. I've checked the cabin air filter as well and it looks fine. I suspect it's the recirculate motor or door but I don't know how to check. Unfortunately, my 3/36k warranty ended in march. I'm not sure if this is covered by any other warranty. Anyone have any other ideas to try?

2. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I was just at the dealership for a similar issue today. They did a software update to resolve the issue. The car had thrown a code that the blend door wasn't operating within its full range. In other words, it wasn't closing.

Since there's a service bulletin on the issue, you might get lucky even though you're out of warranty.

3. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

really havent had a problem with my AC. 2009 RT. but will keep an eye out for it. i know mine being that old now, stuff will start to happen.

4. F4Phantom2

F4Phantom2 Member

The recirc door assembly on mine (2010 SE) broke and it was quite obvious. (No roar from recirc air, outside smells, etc.) Dealer dropped the HVAC assby and replaced it. About $600 but worth it.

5. Cajunjon

Cajunjon Member

@Wizard of Iz What is the revision of your PCM software? Is it newer than this?

IMG_20180608_090053.jpg

6. Wizard of Iz

Ill have to check to see if it changed. That’s the version I had before my trip to the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. 900312611

900312611 Member

This was taken from ChargerForumZ

FCA DOCUMENT LINK FOR UCONNECT UPDATE 17.11.07
    MODELS: 2013 - 2016 (D2) RAM 3500 Pickup 2013 - 2016 (DD) RAM 3500 Cab Chassis
    2013 - 2016 (DF) RAM 3500 10K Cab Chassis
    2013 - 2016 (DJ) RAM 2500 Pickup
    2013 - 2016 (DS) RAM 1500 Pickup
    2014 - 2016 (KL) Jeep Cherokee
    2015 - 2016 (LA) Dodge Challenger
    2015 - 2016 (LD)
    Dodge Charger
    2015 - 2016 (LX) Chrysler 300
    2015 - 2016 (UF) Chrysler 200
    2014 - 2016 (WD) Dodge Durango
    2014 - 2016 (WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee
    2013 - 2016 (ZD) Dodge Viper
    The following improvements are included in this update:

· Adds Apple Siri® Eyes Free capability for iPhone® owners. · Auto Play can now be configured.
    · Adds do not disturb text message feature.
    · The ability to drag and drop icons into the menu bar.
    · Fix for radio locks up/frozen. · Fix for stuck on black/blank screen.
    · Human Machine Interface (HMI) improvements.
    · Several navigation improvements.
    · Fix for radio loses time.
    · Charge Complete notification is not received (RU PHEV only).
    · Media devices, Phone pairing and Bluetooth usage improvements. · Improved tuner performance. · Enhanced Voice recognition (VR) performance.
    · Enhancements in Connectivity Apps (Yelp, Pandora, Aha, etc).

All 2013-current vehicles sold in the U.S. with the RA3 or RA4 radio can now receive software
    updates “over-the-air”. Updates to software level 17.11.07 will occur in a phased roll-out. The software is updated through the built-in cellular modem in the radio which is connected to the Sprint® 3G network. Customers will see a notification on their radio screen when new software is available for their radio (Fig. 1). The owner will have the option to update the radio or schedule the update for later. There is not an option to decline the update indefinitely. The update must be performed.

8. Wizard of Iz

Confirmed. Still on software version 17.43.01.

The update performed on Wednesday was supposedly specific to the HVAC system to correct a condition where the blend door would lose its full range of motion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Cajunjon

Cajunjon Member

I downloaded the 16.16.13, 17.11.07 and 17.43.01 revision iso files and decompiled the updates and saw nothing that related to HVAC (I only play an expert software programmer on TV). They only showed fixes for features of the Uconnect head unit like NAV, Bluetooth, Radio and some of the applications (that I could be sure of). The fix they did for you Wizard of Iz had to have been something else. The HVAC must be controlled by something else. The only TSB I could find was;
    NHTSA ID: 10136535 TSB ID: 24-004-16 REV. A for 353600 EQUIPMENT:AIR CONDITIONER bulletin for the 2015 CHALLENGER. The fix for this bulletin involves reprogramming the heating ventilation air conditioning (hvac) module with new software. I can't find what the HVAC module is controlled by but it's likely the PCM. I'm going to have to bring it in to the dealer I guess.