A drive in winter isn't always possible but we did it

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by NC20RT, Feb 27, 2021.

1. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

After several days of decent weather last week, and with limited salt/sand on the highway, we took a 100+ miles drive in the R/T. We grabbed a takeout lunch at Steak n Shake and sat at the beautiful overlook on I-26 north of Asheville just a few miles from the TN state line. No spilled shake or cheesy fries made it a success. Even with no leaves and that bare look, sitting in the sun and viewing the mountains were a treat.
    This little trek will help until Spring officially arrives soon. I know many of you drive your cars regularly, so no big deal, but since we just bought this car in November we have been waiting for a nice opportunity.

P1010318 (2).JPG

B5blueRT likes this.
  2. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

NICE...I’m sure it will be at least another month before the roads are clean around here. They do a great job of keeping our roads clear, but the mess left behind is nasty. I power washed my truck yesterday trying to get as much yuck off that I could get at.

3. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

I've been fortunate enough that I haven't had to take my R/T out in the bad snow storms but have driven it in a few 3-5" snow days.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. After a morning rain, its supposed to get up to 60 degrees with sun before more rain in the evening. I plan to get the RT out for SUNday drive just to enjoy it.

Still have a 6 foot snow pile at the end of my driveway that will be there for a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2021
  4. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

Never drove my Challenger in snow. My past “play” cars have usually been kept in a garage for the bad weather but came out on clear days. My bikes on the other hand were more like how some of you keep your cars. In storage until spring! I remember that feeling of being able to bring one of my bikes out for a ride after a long time in storage. It really felt great!

5. FrankenMax

FrankenMax Full Access Member

One word for all year enjoyment. DESERT

Snows the devil!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    NC20RT likes this.
  6. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I pick and choose the days to take out my SRT. If there is any snow, ice or salt on the road, it stays home. So far, this winter, I have been able to drive it once a week.

7. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't expecting anything posting in this 'regional' section that has been really quiet. I figured 'what the heck', maybe I'll wake up someone in the southeastern US.

8. Katshot

You were saying?
    CC7B48DB-72C9-4B20-8BB8-C462DDDDB161.jpeg

9. Katshot

It NEVER snows in South Florida! 86BE9239-98E7-4701-BA46-27E3A9655F7F.jpeg

Wizard of Iz likes this.
  10. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

That part of I-26 does provide some nice views. We were on vacation in Blowing Rock last June and then worked our way over to Johnson City to pick up I-81 and head down to Gatlinburg for Mopars Meet in the Mountains.

It is one of the great things about living in Florida. Though ... we did get an accumulation of about 1.5" back in 1989 that brought Jacksonville to a sliding halt!

Yesterday we hit 85 degrees and had 407 cars at the Krusin' For Kids car show.

B5blueRT and NC20RT like this.