AC/Heater Control Unit

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by ONE L COOL J, Dec 2, 2019.

1. ONE L COOL J

ONE L COOL J New Member

Hey everyone,

I just bought a used 2009 Dodge Challenger SE. A couple weeks after buying it, I noticed the AC/Heater Control unit with the 3 dials stopped working.

I tried setting the blower on low, med, and high. Nothing. Tried cold air, hot air, and different defrost settings. Nothing. Even when I press the circulate air, AC, and rear defrost buttons they don’t light up. No air blowing whatsoever.

I've tried all of the tips I've read online ~

- Unplug negative battery cord for 15min. Plugged back in. Started car. AC/Heater Control unit still not working (none of the dials or buttons)

- Removed every single 10AMP fuse (including 30AMP #42, and #43) from the rear fuse box. Waited 10min. Bought brand new 10AMP fuses and put those back in. Started car. AC/Heater Control unit still not working (none of the dials or buttons)

- Removed AC / Heater Control Unit and checked wires/connectors. All good (no burn smell/marks). I Unplugged them all and plugged back in for safe measure. Started car. AC/Heater Control unit still not working (none of the dials or buttons)

I called Dodge to see if they have the AC/Heater Control unit in stock (55111904AE). Apparently they stopped making this part for Challengers made in '08 & '09.. I asked them where I could find it, they said Autozone, O'Reilys, or Napa. I called all of the local auto stores, but they all said they don't carry the part or ever will. No junkyards have a Challenger in my year, which I need because apparently the AC/Heater Control units for 2010+ Challengers are a different. Rock Auto, Summit Racing, all the Mopar part websites don't have it.. Literally my only hope is a used one off eBay. There are literally 3 left in the nation (online).

Unfortunately the part won't arrive until December 11th.. So I won't have a car for 2 weeks. Hopefully that used AC/Heater Control unit fixes my problem. If not I believe the only other 2 things it could be are my Heater Blower Resistor or one of the 3 Actuators. Really bummed out how this happened right after I bought the car.

Does anyone know if the AC/Heater Control unit for 2010+ Challengers will fit in my 2009? I've read that they do, but for some reason the AC doesn't work. May be able to live with that. I live in Seattle, WA.

I have an appt w local Dodge dealership this TUE AM for a diagnostic.

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Full Access Member Article Writer

Hopefully, the used AC/Heater Control Unit will fix your problem.

The next time you need a used part, check the national database. Someone salvage yard will have the part and you can have it shipped to you.

https://www.usedpartscentral.com/landingpage.php?field=frommain

By the way, the fuse for the AC/Heater Control, for a 2009 Challenger, is #14 (red- 10 amp) in the rear power distribution center. The 30 amp (pink) fuses that you pulled were not correct. Fuse #42 is the front blower motor and #43 is the rear defroster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    county23 likes this.
  3. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

4. Bill9167

Bill9167 New Member

Hi One L Cool: I have an 09 R/T and my heater a/c stopped just like yours EXCEPT that it was dead on only the highest speed setting. Anyway, I changed the resistor behind or under the glove box and everything came back to life. The hardest part of the job was getting the connector apart. Cost about $25 on ebay or Amazon. Cheers.