Always wanted one. Now I'm gonna pull the trigger

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by motomutt, Dec 18, 2022.

1. motomutt

motomutt Member

My dream car was always a 70 T/A. Missed the boat. Now, at 61, I'm ready to buy a new gen challenger. Leaning toward a 392 scat pack shaker. I get that the wide body is better but the body moldings look like an after thought (IMHO). I'm open to anything 2016 and later. Any words of wisdom? Good? Bad? Your $.02 is greatly appreciated. Mutt

Moparisto, stingray and Dodge_99 like this.
  2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Buy a Scat Pack or Scat Pack Shaker. These models look great and perform phenomenally. If you can find a used one with low mileage, it will be the best bang for your buck.

3. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Full Access Member

I agree, the fender flares look “tacked-on”. I prefer the clean look. I have about the same car as Tom. I love it and will probably never sell it, but if I had it to do over, I would look for one with a shaker hood! I just think they’re cool. :cool:

Oh, and it would have to be purple :Big Laugh:.

4. bobbymac

bobbymac Full Access Member

5. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

I would go for the 70 Trans-AM those are very rare cars. Hard to find a real one since production was so low.

6. 392hemiTA

392hemiTA Member

I have a 2017 ta 392 yellow jacket color and I feel pretty good about it because it is the first year of the remake of the TA, only old rodders know what it is I get so many double takes and conversation, I owned a 70 challenger 340 when I was 20

7. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

If you are dead-set on NOT getting a Hellcat, then pick a color and find what you want with the options you actually want. Curious why you would not want a Hellcat versus a lighter model.

If you like, as I do, actual traditional hydraulic power steering instead of the evidently more failure-prone electric power steering, some years are out of the question.

First thing to do is discard any Pirelli tires. My research on the internet has convinced me that Pirelli has jumped right down the toilet with their "ultra high performance" tires, and not only as OE for Mopars, but other brands as well. The Pirellis Cinturato P7 days of yore are OVER.

No amount of money you save is going to make you feel better about lousy tires putting you in a ditch or the front yard of some people who have kids. I can personally recommend the Mickey Thompsons that are W rated. They are great tires for summer weather, especially.

Do not get Nitto Motivos if you like traction.

Toyo UHP tires are excellent choices, also.

305-315-30-20's on the rear, and there are some nice 285-30-20's for the front you can pick up in some brands. This is assuming SRT-spec 9.5" wide wheels front and some repro 10.5-11.0" wide tires for the rear. People don't complain about these cars having too much traction.

Which year you choose will determine your stock hood configuration. I would never get a Challenger with electric power steering or a two-scoops hood.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2022
  8. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

1970 Trans-AM:cheers::smiley-face-popcorn
    :GetMoney: