Another "Which tire" question.

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by GoFast, Dec 16, 2019.

1. GoFast

GoFast Active Member

So I know this question has been beat to death but I need help deciding between 2 tires. I have found good reviews for both but can't decide and am hoping someone has experience with both of them. The car is a daily short commute and weekend car. I do drive it hard and often consider stop lights a chance to test my launch control, this is why I am looking for new tires, the Stock tires don't perform as well as I would like during launch, they seam especially bad in wet or cold conditions despite being an AS tire.

I've decided the stock 2018 Scat Pack tires are no good in the rain and mediocre at best for launching in dry weather, so I'm looking for something with better traction overall and in wet conditions especially (no snow, just rain). Just looking to replace the rear tires for now. I have decided to go wider with a 275x40x20 instead of the 245x45x20. If I replace the fronts I think I will stick with the 245x45 size.

Right now I'm looking at 2 tires, the Mickey Thomson Street Comp and the BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2. Both have the correct speed rating and both are all season Ultra Performance. Anyone have experience with either of these tires?

https://mickeythompsontires.com/street-tires/street-comp

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tires/g-force/g-force-comp-2-a-s.html

I will probably get a set of rear summer tires when summer rolls around and switch back and forth each season, just a thought for now.

Thanks.

HemiFeverAZ likes this.
  2. HemiFeverAZ

HemiFeverAZ Full Access Member

I had the bfg tires they have a 30000 warranty an didn’t make 25000,
    In regards to hooking up with this car it’s not just about tire, will get to those details in a moment

Back to the tire I drive a lot an I’m hard on my srt everyday.. I went with the ContinentalEXTREMECONTACT DWS 06
    Ultra High Performance All-Season an I run staggered setup
    245 in front 275 in rear, so far it has improved traction, an the tire wear is so far better then prior bfg. If I had the motor build up an more suspension work completed I would run a michellin sport cup tire for street use, an a true drag tire when at track, but with basic bolt ons an a heavy foot I go with a top notch all season..

Now back to hooking up. These cars have many week links causing poor hookup, gumbo style 2 pc drive shaft with rubber couplings, week rear cradle bushings , to say the least, you can update suspension arms, links, an cradle bushings so you can adjust your mass loads (sprung an unsparing) to setup positioning as well as spring /shock rates to have better traction with any tire. (Pending our use application how intense you go)

For reference in drag application search Reed motorsports , he has one of the best hooking an fastest challengers due to this logic in the suspension area .

End result is what’s your future plans with your baby, daily drive? Street race, drag race, road course?
    Then pick where to start for the long haul,
    Cheap route is a softer tires but you will still have weak links that will shine , diff pinion bushing will fail, cradle bushings, end links (if lowered) will be out of alignment causing roll issues, etc..

I know I’m going forged, procharged, with meth injection, so I’m building from rear fwd. Cause the week links will break first ..

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  3. GoFast

GoFast Active Member

I'm not doing any competition, upgrading those weak points is not in my scope of need, I just want a tire that grips better on wet roads than the stock Good Year's. I have heard good things about the Continentals you speak of also, I will put those on the possibility list since you say they are better than the BFG`s.

HemiFeverAZ likes this.
  4. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I had the previous generation of the Continental DWS tires on my '05 GTO and they were awesome in the rain. Very important living in Florida.

I'd also encourage you to take a look at the Cooper Zeon line. I had those on my '11 Challenger R/T and thought that they were very well suited to the car.

HemiFeverAZ likes this.
  5. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

I have been using Firestone Indy500 tires for my last 2 sets, the first set went 33,000 miles and still had rubber left on them. not to say that I didn't treat them bad all the time. but they had 2 good burnouts on them and that was it. I don't like to do that often as tires get costly. the reason why I replaced them was they were on the car for over 5 years, the ride was getting harder so I went and got another set of them. they already have one good burnout on them, I don't plan on doing anymore. Why? caused I am not the type to show my ass , especially when a Mustang or a Camaro comes around. will post the burnout as it was filmed. but my next set will be probably be the same tire but just a larger size as I have the 245/45/20 , going to go 275/40/20 next time.

https://www.facebook.com/david.gibson.908/videos/a.2298226733564380/2298282330225487/?type=3

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    HemiFeverAZ and B5blueRT like this.
  6. KEVIN DONOVAN

KEVIN DONOVAN Full Access Member

Check Tirerack.com
    They offer tire testing as well as performance data on most tires. Proves very useful when researching prior to purchase.

HemiFeverAZ likes this.
  7. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

HemiFeverAZ likes this.
  8. HemiFeverAZ

Front view [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. HemiFeverAZ

Rear [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk