Anyone Have Issues with Gas Tank Overflowing?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by synoptic12, Oct 17, 2018.

1. synoptic12

synoptic12 Full Access Member

Is there any that have experienced 'overflow' problems when filling the gas tank? This occurred one time as I have slowly filled the tank cautiously since. Any and all replies are most appreciated.

2. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

Could the issue have been with the pump nozzle not shutting off? Lots of moving parts in there that can break.

3. synoptic12

Never gave any thought to that; good point. I only use one service station (Mobil). Next time I'll have to try a different Mobil station. Irrespective of that, have you heard of any issues related to 'overflow'? Thanks very much.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  4. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I have a 2017 SXT and haven’t had any issues, and haven’t heard of any. Once I tried putting a fuel injector cleaner in a 2014 Ford Fusion without a funnel and because the bottle only went a short way into the tank, much of it ended up on the ground. We sell gas pump nozzles where I work, and they’re really more complicated than most people think. The vacuum sensor that makes the automatic shutoff work can fail causing gas to continue to pump into a full tank. Hope you get it sorted out.

5. synoptic12

Thanks very much. I have an Sxt as well, 'Plus' Leather > Sport Mode. The car only has 1700 miles (2013). I would hate to believe a vacuum sensor would be faulty. Most likely, the tank shut off may be faulty. Now that I think of it, I did fill up at another Mobil with no problems. I really drive my Olds' more than the Challenger. I really like the flex with the frame chassis as opposed to the Unit or (Uni-Body).

Hopslayer likes this.