Anyone try programing a new key?

Discussion in 'Challenger DIY/Tech Info' started by Alex M, Mar 23, 2023.

Car Parts
  1. Alex M

Alex M Member

Working on programing a new "Mopar" key for my 2009 R/T. Tried the 2-key method, 3x now to get the third key synced with the car. The wrapper for the key has a 2016 date on it. So, just for the hell of it, I installed a new Duracell battery into the new key.

There are videos on YT demonstrating this method and other 2009 Challenger owners left comments stating, this method doesn't work. I'll try again later, but I'm thinking; it's time to call a locksmith to program the new key?

2. baccaruda

baccaruda Full Access Member

You are better off taking it to a dodge dealer a new key fob and programed at the time was $125.00 ,mine got misplaced place and later found it and if you have a after market , you might be in trouble good luck.

3. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

For what it's worth I purchased a key programming kit of the Home Depot web site for $110.00 it was for my 2012 Caravan . It came with one fob and a device that plugs into the obd port .

4. baccaruda

Sorry did not catch that it was a "mopar fob" i know in my neck of the woods if you buy a fob at the Steeler ship the programming is in the fob price where i am located $125.00 i. You might ask the dealer , who knows they might program it f for you free? it only takes a few minutes with there computer. all they can say is No...

5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Is this the procedure that you followed?

The Customer Learn programming method procedures are as follows:

1.Obtain the blank Sentry Key FOBIK(s) that are to be programmed as valid for the vehicle. Cut the blank integrated valet key(s) to match the door lock cylinder mechanical key codes.

2.Insert one of the two valid Sentry Key FOBIKs into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

3.After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for longer than 3 seconds, but no more than 15 seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key FOBIK in the ignition switch with the second valid Sentry Key FOBIK and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. The second valid FOBIK must be inserted into the ignition switch within 15 seconds of removing the first valid FOBIK.

4.About 10 seconds after the completion of Step #3, the security indicator in the instrument cluster will start to flash and a single audible chime will sound to indicate that the system has entered the Customer Learn programming mode.

5.Within 60 seconds of entering the Customer Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. Replace the valid Sentry Key FOBIK with a new Sentry Key FOBIK with a blank transponder and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.

6.About 10 seconds after the completion of Step #5, a single audible chime will sound and the security indicator will stop flashing, stay ON solid for 3 seconds, then turn OFF to indicate that the new Sentry Key FOBIK blank transponder has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately exit the Customer Learn programming mode. After the ignition is cycled the vehicle may be started using the newly programmed valid Sentry Key FOBIK. Each of these steps must be repeated and completed in their entirety for each additional Sentry Key FOBIK that is to be programmed. If the above steps are not completed in the given sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIS will exit the Customer Learn programming mode and the programming will be unsuccessful. The WIN will also automatically exit the Customer Learn programming mode if it sees a Sentry Key FOBIK with a non-blank transponder when it should see a blank, if it has already programmed 8 valid Sentry Key FOBIKs, or if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position for more than about 50 seconds.

NOTE: If an attempt is made to start the vehicle while in the Customer Learn mode (security indicator flashing), the SKIS will respond as though the vehicle were being started with an invalid FOBIK. In other words, the engine will stall after about two seconds of operation. No faults will be set.

6. SRT-Tom

If you have to go to a locksmith, shop around. Some are less expensive than others.

7. baccaruda

Again, I just asked the dealer where my parts are bought at, and they will program your key fob for free when the fob is purchased at their dealership. He also said he does not know any dealer around the area that charges for programing the fob if the fob was purchased from the dealer. Call the dealer and ask them again, all they can say is NO. Good luck.

8. Alex M

Alex M Member

Ebay purchase, so a dealer will have to charge a fee for programing.

9. SRT-Tom

I still think that buying a fob from EBay, and having a locksmith program it, will be cheaper than buying one from a dealer (about $200).

10. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

Last time.. The Home Depot web site sells a oem kit with one fob for $109.00 for your car and some other year mopars as well