are dealers required to disclose damage before you buy the car ?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by Model maker, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Model maker

Model maker Full Access Member

I got my new 2013 challenger in late april noticed panel alignment issues as well as other things not right and different from other side, dealer sends it to bodyshop, they keep it for 9 days don't fix hood remove both front & rear bumpers repaint the front one leaving long rounded beads along the entire edge, rear doesn't go back on straight. I was told the car was in transit to the calif dealer in april 2013 long story short the car did not just arrive on the truck in april, the calif. dealer had it since November 2012 had it in the shop in nov. with 10 miles on it, then in march it was back in at 26 miles IN THE BODY SHOP FOR REPAIRS. this was never disclosed to me, I found these 2 work orders when I signed up for my dodge connect owners page. It listed the 2 repair orders that MY dealer said they had no record of. the calif. dealer did not disclose this, they lied about the cars arrival date by 7 months. I called that calif. dealer armed with the repair order numbers and called just before 5 pm. they were thrown off guard and thought they put me on hold but they didn't know I could hear them talking about my car saying remember the white challenger we sent to Nevada ?HOW does he know this. tell him it was just a small scratch, he gets on the phone and says just that. It was in the repair shop in nov. 2012 saying they PDId it then 10 miles on it, Then the second work order in march 2013 was for the body shop for some kind of body damage with 26 miles on it. my question is this, Are there any laws that dealers must follow in disclosing to a new car buyer any damage big or small before you sign on the dotted line ? My car spent 9 days at a body shop here in Nevada for body panel issues misaligned hood that still isn't right, front bumper edge a little out past the fender, the left front wheel well liner outside of the sheet metal in front of front tire, warped rear tail light panel door rubber not long enough leaving open gap at corner of window rubber parts. if a body shop cannot get a hood to align properly something is not right. the car needed a front wheel alignment and although it drives great it still looks like 1 wheel seems to appear to point out a little, straigten that wheel & the other wheel looks pointed out. the dealer said it is aligned right, it drives like it is but maybe it's not the alignment but the body not straigt. just makes me wonder. I will have it checked by an independent alignment/frame shop to get the truth. I believe I was misled on this car, my dealer was also misled but I feel that is between them & the calif dealer but my dealer should still be the responsible one, am I right in thinking this ? I paid a LOT of money for this car and had I been told how long the car had been sitting at the calif dealer for 7 months, had mileage on it had 2 repairs done, one being body damage repairs.
    Bert

Attached Files:

2. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

Seems like there should be something that can be done. See what your dealer can help with and then get Chrysler in Detroit involved. Dealers have lost their dealerships for trying to be sneaky. Good luck.

3. Rod_R

Rod_R Full Access Member

That's garbage. I'd stop talking to the dealer as it appears they're going to do all they're going to do. I'd send a certified letter to Chrysler and the dealer and tell them they need to repair your car. Ask why the fact the car was in the body shop was not disclosed to you. You're going to have to be patient and professional, though.

I've only known one person who went through a similar issue but with a Jeep. About a year after the ordeal started, they ended up with an arbitrator and they ruled in his favor. He got another new Jeep off the lot as an even trade.

Good luck.

4. KBSRT

KBSRT New Member

My2 cents

1. Was car sold as new or used ?? Certified if used ?

Here is my story I bought a 2013 Challenger with 200 miles on it. It was sold as used .

This was a factory car, they found a problem with a spot weld in trunk area on assembly line. The car was taken off and repaired . By doing this they could not sell car as new.
    I found all this out by dealership selling car. In fianance office when signing papers a discloser sheet was givin to me stating this problem with car.

All I can say is start your certifed letter writing and logging in your phone calls and people you talk with, Time and date.

You where misinformed on your car.

Ken