Automatic Transmission Fluid Overheating

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by SRT-Tom, Jan 15, 2022.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

You should always take your Challenger to another dealer if you are not satisfied with its service.

As an example, there was a Challenger owner whose A8 transmission, in his 2015 R/T (5.7 with 25K miles), starting making a whining/grinding noise, shifting too hard (or not at all) and overheating. The EVIC indicated a transmission temp of 265F and flashed the message "transmission too hot." (Note-Ideally, the fluid temperature in an automatic transmission should range from 170 to 225F degrees).

After taking the car to the local dealership, the technicians couldn't find a code or replicate the problem. They said, everything is "normal" and to bring it back if it happens again!

Wisely, the owner took his car to another more competent dealership. It discovered that the transmission had a defective cooler bypass valve. The purpose of the valve is to bypass the transmission cooler during cold operation. This allows forces the transmission to warm up faster. When the valve fails in the open position (caused by mechanical failure or debris), the transmission fluid does not reach your cooler and overheating is the result.

After replacing the valve, the problem was resolved.

The moral of the story is, if you feel that you are not getting proper service don't hesitate to go to another dealer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Clazar and Wizard of Iz like this.
  2. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Great post.

Once again proves that all dealerships are not created equal. For that matter ... all mechanics/technicians at a dealership are not created equal.

Clazar, B5blueRT and NC20RT like this.
  3. broach2345

broach2345 New Member

Hey @SRT-Tom ,

I’ve been having the same exact issue with my 15 Challenger RT and i’ve been searching the forums for months trying to find somebody that’s going through what I am and i’ve finally found it thanks to you.

Is there a chance that you know of a part number for the valve that was replaced? I went to the dealership and they can’t give me a straight answer.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
  4. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

Unfortunately, most and probably all your vehicle dealerships service manager all have numbers $ on them. It's a business and they will screw you, especially if their numbers are weak.

5. SRT-Tom

6. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

Mishimoto makes 2 performance valves..

7. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

How does what you're describing apply itself to a dealership not being able to diagnose and repair a customer issue?

8. Cloverdale

Cloverdale Full Access Member

Was the vehicle under warranty at the time Tom or were there costs involved in regard to all of this?

9. SRT-Tom

I do not have personal knowledge or more details about this repair, but I believe that the car was out of warranty.