Best Lug Nuts

Discussion in 'Challenger Wheels, Tires and Brakes Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Challenger1

Challenger1 New Member

Hi Tom, yes I was looking at McGard #64074. I just want to be sure they will work with the factory wheels I have. I’m pretty sure the lugs that I have on the car came from the factory though. I was just trying to determine the brand.

2. baccaruda

baccaruda Full Access Member

Just one note, if you buy a lock kit W/lug nuts , make sure you install the puzzle key lug nut across from the tire valve as close as you can to help balance the tire out for the TPMS . " Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor " if you choose not to have the lock kit disregard this.

3. Challenger1

Challenger1 New Member

Thanks man! but no locks for me.

4. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Full Access Member

So a story....
    A few years back, I got front tires for my car. Never really gave it a second thought, but some time later, I was taking the front wheels off, and the socket I thought was the right one didn't fit. I found a metric one that seemed to be the right one, but the first lug I tried it on, it slipped and damaged the nut to where nothing would remove it. I ended up using a hammer and chisel to loosen the lug and get it off. Now, I'm thinking, "What the hell?".
    So, after struggling with the other lugs, I realized they were all distorted to the point where the correct socket wouldn't fit properly. I had to hammer it onto the lug, undo it, and then pry the lug nut out of the socket. Total pain.

Moral of the story: these lug nuts for the SRT Alcoa wheels are 13/16". Not 21mm. Not 20mm. Not any other sizes. 13/16 of an inch. Period. I think what happened is the tech in the tire store must have used a 21mm socket with the air wrench maxed out and because the socket was a sloppy fit, it beat the shit out of the lug nut enough to distort it where the proper socket wouldn't fit. These lugs have a thin metal skin on them for looks, (which the article that Tom posted in #1 said aren't the best design), and it distorted enough to effectively ruin the lug. Now, these puppies are $16 apiece from Dodge, so if they all get screwed up, you're looking at $320 dollars to replace the whole car. See why I was a little concerned?

Anyway, when I got new tires this time, back in February, I took my 6-sided black impact 13/16" socket with me and made sure the tech only used that to work on my wheels. I hope this rant saves someone from going through the same mess.

Rick

Sexy Blue, Challenger1 and baccaruda like this.