Blacked-out tail light options

Discussion in 'Challenger Exterior Modifications Forum' started by Katshot, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

One mod I'm interested in doing to my car is blacking out the tail lights. Years ago, we used to spray the lenses with a black-out spray. it worked ok but wasn't anywhere near as good as buying lenses manufactured out of darker material. I know I could simply apply some window tint to them but I doubt that would hold up very well. So, does anyone here have suggestions?

2. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

3. Katshot

Unfortunately, those, like many others only cover the center (reverse light) section of the lens. My Son got me those for Father's Day. Didn't realize they only covered the centers when he bought them.

4. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

Wizard of Iz likes this.
  5. Wizard of Iz

Looking at WorkPlayDrive's Instagram page ... he talks about tinting the whole light.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CByV_hyF7rH/

6. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

Did you ever tint your tail lights? I did the brake light section and was quite happy with the result. Also did the rear reflector. Found these on Amazon;
    https://www.amazon.ca/JDL-Autoworks-2015-2019-Challenger-Application/dp/B07J569BTK

https://www.amazon.ca/JDL-Autoworks-Challenger-NOT-WIDEBODY-Application/dp/B07J9WBFG1

I didn’t do the side markers yet, I think they’d look best as is.

BEFORE
    60DB5F9F-41C0-44C1-8C1D-60504C46A41B.jpeg

AFTER
    93DB56C1-B374-4EBE-9C88-65E6FC95B7BD.jpeg

7. Katshot

No, I never did. Not interested in doing the side markers and really just wanted to do the tail lamps. Seems like all the kits I find only cover the reverse lights.

8. Wizard of Iz

There's definitely a safety downside to tinting the taillights. I was following a modded 350z last night and nearly rear-ended him as he had his taillights and turn signals tinted so dark that they weren't visible until I was pretty close. Fortunately, the lane next to me was empty and I was able to "exit, stage left."

9. Katshot

I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a concern for me. Yeah, they look cool when tinted but I realize that tinted tail lamps decrease my visibility to people behind me thereby increasing the likelihood of getting into an accident as well as severely reducing the amount of illumination I would have from my reverse lights. Probably why I haven't done anything yet with my tail lights.

10. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

I'd also be concerned that if you were hit, that your insurance (or theirs) would argue you were to blame as a result of the tinting ??

Personally, I never understood the whole tinting thing......with most cars, the lighting isn't bright enough to begin with, and tinting it only make it less so....

If it's done for looks, then make it removable so at a show, it's on and you have the look you want, but when driving, especially at night, it is off so you get the brightness you should have to be safe.

Same for window tinting.....sure it can make the car look better, but it also makes it hard to see out of clearly, especially at night....and I am not willing to risk safety for looks.

Bacon Sandwich and B5blueRT like this.