Blazing Fast BMW

Discussion in 'The Champagne Room' started by SRT-Tom, Jul 10, 2020.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The 2020 BMW M8 Competition is blazing fast. How fast? 0-60 mph in 2.5 sec., 1/4 mile in 10.7 sec., 129 mph. and 0-170 mph. in 22 sec.

This is accomplished by a twin-turbo and intercooled 268 cu. inch V8, with an aluminum block and heads. It produces 617 hp. and 553 lb-ft of torque at 1,800 rpm. Max boost pressure is 25.9 psi. The car's weight is 4,251 lbs.

So how much does all this cost? The base price is $147,995. With performance, appearance and audio options, it runs a hefty $175,745.

[​IMG]

2. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

It looks like a Mustang with an aftermarket front end... IMO.

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  3. Cloverdale

Cloverdale New Member

Indulge me comrades! Many / most are unaware of the BMW 335's potential (as I was when I bought mine). These are 3 litre, inline 6 engine cars. For $1500 US we're able to bring the crank hp from 300 to almost 500 on stock turbos with the JB4 tuner, catless downpipes, larger intercooler, larger charge pipe, dual cone intake (easy install, comes in a pkg.). The tuner recognizes the upgrades and brings turbo boost approaching 20lbs. Also allows me to run 30% E85 (cheap high octane) with 91 pump gas. I'm into mine (low mileage 2007) for $16k Canadian and it's as fast if not faster than my Supercharged 5.7. Scorches the 18in tires in 2nd gear. Is it just my suspicious nature or did Dodge design the 2 plug per cylinder hemi's just to create higher service charges for owners dependent on the dealership for maintenance?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Super Moderator Article Writer

It's due to emissions. Dual plugs on each cylinder, allows the firing to take place closer to top dead center, and then again when the piston is on the back side of the power stroke. This reduces NOx and ozone. Full combustion results in heat, water, and carbon dioxide. NOx emissions are only significant during incomplete or partial combustion, due to the lack of available oxygen, high temperatures, and various chemical reactions. That's why catalytic converters have been standard on cars for the past 3 decades. The extra set of spark plugs on the HEMI are designed to reduce emissions before a catalyst is needed. They add some horsepower, but not very much.