Blurring License Plate Images

Discussion in 'The Champagne Room' started by SRT-Tom, Sep 30, 2019.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Full Access Member Article Writer

I have always found it curious that most people, when they post photos or videos of their cars, blur the license plates. Why?

Supposedly, the reason they do this is to protect their identities. All of our lives, we are told not to give anyone our social security number, our address, our credit card numbers, our phone number, and our birth date, or else they will steal our identity, drain my bank accounts, and learn all our passwords.

But is there actually a worry here? If someone gets your plate number, can he actually do anything with it? The answer is no. This paranoia started with legislation introduced by Congressman Jim Moran of Virginia. The law is called the "Driver's Privacy Protection Act," and it was signed on September 13, 1994, by President Bill Clinton.

The Driver's Privacy Protection Act, or DPPA, prohibits the disclosure of personal information gathered by motor vehicle departments. The result is that the most information a person with your plate number could possibly get is the make and model of your vehicle. Not your name, not your address, not your date of birth, not your social security number, etc.

So, basically, you have nothing to worry about when a normal person sees your license plate number, unless of course they have some sort of access to DMV records. Fortunately, this access is limited to police, lawyers, process servers and DMV employees.

But is it possible that a road rage driver will track you down? Technically, yes, but very unlikely. Just think, everyone already sees your license plate number every time you drive your vehicle on a public road or park it in a public lot. And guess what? You're still alive and nobody has figured out any of your passwords, even though you may have an unprotected file on your desktop that includes all of them.

So, the bottom line is covering up your license plates, when you post pictures or video, really doesn’t matter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  2. ZEN357

ZEN357 Full Access Member

So they remain anonymous and can't be tracked down. Car thieves may be trolling these forums.

3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Full Access Member Article Writer

I hate to say it, but Challengers are not that rare anyone. Over the past 12 years, over 500,000 have been built.

Even if someone saw your license plate on line, how would they get access to DMV records?

4. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

Also to protect you from your insurance company. Is an employee of your insurance company sees a video or picture of your car in a racing event it could result in them canceling your insurance. That’s what I have been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk