Bright lights not working...

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by The Country Toad, Jan 22, 2023.

1. The Country Toad

The Country Toad Member

Hello all! I've tried to do my due diligence and search for an answer to this but I'm sorta coming up empty.
    2012 challenger with 214k stx bone stock w the V6.
    The bright lights wont work. Stock headlights will burn normally but try to swap to brights or flash em and all the headlights go out completely.
    No codes... I can't seem to find a relay specific to the brights or a fuse... I also have a 2500 ram that's bad about having bad pins in the headlamp harnesses but that usually just affects one side or another.
    I'm down to the choices of the prob being in the steering column or on they blinker/washer/headlamp switch .... Or is it a harness...or did one of the bright elements go out and neither will work.
    Thanks in advance for the help y'all!!!!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

2. Moparisto

Moparisto Full Access Member

As tedious as it may be, I suggest locating the specific relay for the lights and using needle-sharp electrical meter probes to see the wires that are energized leading to the headlights.

You can jumper the relay socket to energize a two-probe piece of wire to try out different parts of the socket to see if they cause the wire going to your low beams to energize, which would require you to use a meter and needle-sharp probes to poke through the wire dielectric to the conductor.

If the low beams turn on when you energize the socket with the two-ended probe, the relay is likely the problem.

If the wire does not come on by the headlight switch, you can then use the meter to see if the associated sockets on the light's relay energize when the switch is on. If the switch is not sending power to the correct wire, it is the switch or a connection from the fuse/relay area to the column that is a problem. However, if the brights come on, then it is likely not a problem of power getting TO the headlight switch.

So, it sounds like power AFTER the switch that is lacking, which could be the switch itself for the wire somewhere after the switch.

So,
    A) find if the switch is getting power
    B) find if power is coming from the switch on the correct wire
    C) See if relay correctly translates said power into output to the low-beams.
    D) See if wiring from relay/fuse area energizes the lights or if its lack of continuity is a problem
    E) The connection of wiring socket to the bulb itself
    F) The bulb itself

3. The Country Toad

The Country Toad Member

Ty sir! I sorta figured it might boil down to something like that if I can't find a relay to check.

I know you mentioned the relay socket. Any clue as to where that relay is?

4. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

This You Tube video may help at least explain what you have or don't have....

There some other videos you may find helpful too.

5. Moparisto

My guess is in the front fuse box, but the Rube Goldberg method of finding it is to just turn on your headlights and unplug every relay one at a time until your headlights go out.

6. The Country Toad

The Country Toad Member

Ty sir! That was one of the first vids I'd watched but he's got an 18 in the vid and I don't have the same fuse boxes on my 12

7. The Country Toad

The Country Toad Member

Ty sir once again! I think you're right as far as that method because none of the fuse diagrams I've seen for either box have any mention of headlights or high beams. Sigh.

8. Moparisto

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  9. Moparisto

You're welcome!

PS with those additional driving lights available, why not put some super-wide-fan low-aimed driving lights in the front air dam? I like the idea of low-mounted fog lights that work to illuminate the road very low and wide to hopefully get the light to the road under a bank of fog so you aren't just blinding yourself with a sheet of glare via the normal headlights hitting the fog.

I did a quick 'net search and found these:
    EDITED: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE VIDEO I LINKED???

I AM LINKING THE VIDEO AGAIN HERE:

at about 29 seconds, he shows the actual beam pattern on the wall. Low and wide.

10. The Country Toad

The Country Toad Member

I appreciate the info on the fogs and all but I'm just trying to figure out this high beam situation right now. I've disconnected the batt for a while to see if that would reset. No luck. The elements are intact on the bulbs as well.
    Any idea if there's a relay in the steering column or a bad steering module? All the functions operate properly except the high beams.
    I've read about a bad bcm but I have no other symptoms.