Buyer Beware of SUV Tires

Discussion in 'Challenger Wheels, Tires and Brakes Forum' started by SRT-Tom, Sep 8, 2018.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I have seen where some Challenger owners are buying 275/40-20 tires made for SUVs, like the Atturos AZ850, in order to save money. They then complain about reduced handling and performance. Don't do it, you'll have to live with this mistake for years.

SUV tires are designed with a softer sidewall to compensate for a rigid truck suspension. The typical SUV driver is looking for a comfortable utility vehicle that rides like a passenger car. They don't care about its off-road capabilities.

As I have previously posted, the the new Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 Ultra High Performance All-Season tires (I have 245/45-20 on front and 275/40-20 on rear of my 2009 SRT) are a great choice for wide tires that look and handle great but won't break the bank. Tires, like this, have dense siping and silica enriched tread compounds, for better grip regardless of the weather. They also have higher speed ratings than SUV tires. Simply put, you get what you pay for.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    70-426_10-SRT likes this.