Camshaft Failure

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by SRT-Tom, Jun 7, 2020.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Here's an interesting video suggesting a design flaw in the Gen 3 Hemi that causes lifter problems and camshaft failure.

Hopslayer likes this.
  2. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

Interesting theory.

3. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

If insufficient oiling were an issue, one would expect to see extensive lifter/cam damage. The pulled camshafts that I've seen show random damage, and in many cases only one lobe. What Tony is showing in his clip is not the same as the cam lobe/lifter failure that we see in other videos. That scuffing on those lifters can be caused by improper break-in and engine overheating.

If and when I do the MDS delete on my 5.7, new lifters and a high-volume oil pump will be included in the build. I could just trade-in my 2016, but what would be the point? Chrysler hasn't made any changes (that I know of) in their more recent builds.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  4. 68MOPAR

68MOPAR Full Access Member

...moved to maint section.

5. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Watch this video at the 8:00 minute mark.

6. TC429

TC429 Member

Good to know- I hadn't realized the Hemis had any real issues...kinda funny, low idle oil pressure is a most likely culprit on ford cam phaser lock pin failures that eventually destroy the phasers, or let chain slap on startup destroy plastic guides... now its Hemis not getting enough oil slung off the crank to wet the cam... being a stick, I upped my Mustang's idle to maintain hot idle pressure AND started mixing in 10w30 1 qt at oil changes instead of 2w20 at around 50k, now over 100 its all 10w30, maybe luck, but no phaser issues to date...

Think on the coming Challenger, I'll mostly avoid warmup idling for extended periods and may also kick the idle up- it's a stick, so won't hurt much other than city mpg... sons ordered a 1320 auto, will let him know too that lots of idling seems to be the common opinion as to attributing to failures.

At least the Hemis seem to be high mile failures, usually over 80k, where Ford's phasers typically fail just past the 60k warranty...my 19 3.5 has 57k and its going in under warranty (luckily)...once warranties up, I'm adding either a accusump pre-lube accumulator or a electric pre-lube pump on that one to refill phasers before cranking...dry starting a phaser that bled out overnight due to lock pin failures seems to be the guide/chain break/engine destruction on the Fords.

Funny how some issues linger on for years/decades without any fixes... sure engineers are more concerned with actuary table numbers on costs to fix those under warranty, than actually fix all proactively...seems on the Hemis a small upward facing notch on big ends of rod faces to sling most oil spill-off upwards would be almost free... but the Hemi is going away anyways. :(

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2023
  7. HellKitten

HellKitten Full Access Member

The key here is oil piston coolers, you are going to use oil between changes.