Challenger SXT (pinstar 6 cylinder 5 sp auto)

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by Janning, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Janning

Janning Full Access Member

I have a 2013 Challenger SXT (Pentastar 6 cylinder 5 speed automatic). It has 49,500 miles on her. What's the deal with the transmission? i know on my Hellcat, it's a sealed system, and a "process" to say the least to change the transmission fluid.

What about this 5 speed automatic transmission? Is it sealed? is there a dipstick ? (I do not find one), or is this too like the Hellcat....sealed?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2022
  2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Yes, there is no transmission dip stick on 5-speed NAG-1 transmissions. Checking the fluid level is done at the dealership.

3. Janning

Ah, so the SXT, like the Hellcat, is a sealed system. Needless to say at 9 years old and 49500 miles the warranty is long gone. I've not had any issues but I like to stay on top of things. I change the rear end oil/grease every 15000 miles and the oil and filter every 4500 miles (using Valvoline full synthetic) This is just light to normal driving...i change early, you bet.
    I would do the same on the Transmission, if I could.
    So? whats the word on Transmission fluids? I was told for my Hellcat, unless you overheat it, don't worry about the transmission fluid its "lifetime"

4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Your service manual should be your guide. Normally, the transmission fluid and filter are changed at 100,000 miles. Some car manufacturers, however, recommend changes at 40,000 or 60,000 miles.

5. Janning

I'll have to dig up the manual to validate....if its 100,000.....Thats going to take another 9 or 10 years to hit. Its driven lightly ....not time to worry about........yet.