Challenger SXT, R/T and SRT

Discussion in 'Prospective Challenger Owners Forum' started by stingray, Jul 20, 2012.

1. stingray

stingray Full Access Member

What is a deciding factor of which model to buy? Such as is one model more reliable than the other? Maintenance costs? The 3 models all look alike but there are a few small items to distinguish them apart by decals and hood decoration. Is the SXT for a poser? Wants the look all show and no go? R/T the handler of the two? SRT the drag racer over the other two?

2. dC.mx

dC.mx Full Access Member

Well, id never buy v6 because they are not realiable.. R/T or and SRT but always prefer bigger one.. :)

3. Storm Rider

Storm Rider Full Access Member

All the Challenger engine packages are reliable. Just depends on what you want out of your ride and how much you want to spend. As a full time daily driver then V-6 might be the way to go. Fun driver with horses go with the R/T. Want to blow the other guys away then SRT all the way.

4. stingray

I want a fun fast car with great handling but with a comfortable ride that absorbs bumps and rides good on bumpy roads so I don't feel every pebble on the road that can be a daily driver. Don't want high maintenance tinker toy car.

5. Storm Rider

The R/T fits all that you are looking for in a Challenger. It rides great and has horsepower for fun and it has a few colors you can't get in an SXT version. All I have done to my R/T is regular maintainence. You will really enjoy the R/T.

6. stingray

For the $$$ there is a noticeable difference in cost between R/T and SRT. But the SXT and R/T margin of cost are both much closer to each other. Plus you get a V-8. As far as gas mileage there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the R/T and SRT. I guess the SXT wins:win: in this dept. and economy.

7. Storm Rider

You can get great mileage from the 5.7, because it has MDS. In cruise mode it cuts back on the cylinders and save fuel, but gives you everything when you get on the accelerator. The other difference between the V-6 & the 5.7 is that the V-6 has 6 spark plugs and the 5.7 has 16.

8. stingray

I don't like the idea of the MDS features besides that comes in the automatic. I am between transmissions now auto vs. 6 spd. manual until I know exactly which model I want SXT, R/T and SRT. Does MDS come with the SXT model since that car is only available with auto 5 spd. only with 6 cylinders? No manual on SXT Auto only car yet?
    Maybe they will have the 8 spd. auto available soon?
    last time I heard the 5.7 had 8 sparkplugs.:chewie:
    I am getting tired of paying these high gas prices and or having to fill up more often. There are other things now I can spend my $$$ on besides fuel that keeps going up in price-it's called frustration.:Frustrated:

9. Storm Rider

I believe the SXT V-6 comes only in a 5 speed auto stick. That is a really good tranny.

10. stingray

That is my understanding too. No manual for the SXT and it's a 5 spd. auto.
    When it comes down to it the R/T and SXT are close to each other in price but the gas consumption there is a noticeable difference?
    Between R/T and SRT not much of a gas mileage difference as they are both V-8 engines?