Check Engine light and P2098

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Discussions' started by Janning, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Janning

Janning Full Access Member

I have the Catalytic converter recall done on my 2016 Challenger Hellcat about 2 months ago.
    Every thing was fine, ran like it did before. Last night ourt of the blue, the Check engine lite came on,
    and the engine "sounded like" it is running rough, with a flutter like sound from the exhuaust, but
    the flutter is more under the car not in the back exhaust exit.
    I ran diagnostics getting a P2098 ( engine control module (ECM) detecting the post catalytic
    O2 sensor fuel trim is testing too lean on a two trip minimum to set the code. left bank)

1) The ECM is detecting the pre catalytic O2 sensor not working correctly and
    then monitors the post catalytic O2 sensor to see if the problem correlates to the
    pre catalytic O2 sensor on a two trip requirement.
    2) The exhaust may have a leak or engine problem before the pre catalytic sensor.
    3) The engine may have mechanical or fuel related issues causing the code.
    4) The O2 sensor wiring or sensor is the failure.

The engine runs rough and has a flutter like sound from the exhaust. This like a leak?
    The engine light and sound came on suddently out of the blue. Something done during this
    catalytic converter change had to of caused this, the car ran fine, check engine light had
    never come on before this. I pulled fuse 31 for five minutes and the check engine light
    is off, but the flutter sound is still there. Its hard to tell if the engine really is running
    rough or it just sounds this way.

Anyone have any comments/suggestions? I will be bringing it to the dealer tommorrow.

2. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

Definitely needs to go back to the dealer. Sounds like there’s an exhaust leek which may be causing the code. I know Purrr66 was complaining of a sound of a leek after having her cat’s done. I haven’t noticed anything on mine.
    I believe they were supposed to change the O2 sensors when the cat’s were replaced.

3. Janning

WOW....I found the issue, evidentially when they install the new cats, they did not tighten the two header nut. Both are simply not there.

4. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

Unacceptable!!! And people wonder why dealers get a bad wrap.

5. Janning

I agree but people are freaking out about this on the dealer. For me this is kind of a typical experience I've had at every dealer I've ever been, since the early 1980's.
    I've had 15+ new cars since then, and at least 8-9 different dealers. You could say I've had bad luck, but that a Lot of bad luck.

6. DodgeCares

DodgeCares Active Member

What dealer did you work with to complete the recall?

Kaitlin
    Dodge Cares

7. Janning

Huffines Plano, Texas......why do you ask?