Class Action Lawsuit Against FCA

Discussion in 'The Champagne Room' started by SRT-Tom, May 9, 2020.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Super Moderator Article Writer

There is a class action lawsuit against Fiat/Chrysler over excessive oil consumption with the four-cylinder 2.4 Tigershark engine. It includes:
    • 2015-2016 Chrysler 200;
    • 2013-2016 Dodge Dart;
    • 2016-2020 Fiat 500X;
    • 2017-2020 Fiat Toro;
    • 2014-2020 Jeep Cherokee;
    • 2017-2020 Jeep Compass;
    • 2015-2020 Jeep Renegade; and
    • 2015-2020 Ram ProMaster City.
    According to the suit, the defect in FCA’s 2.4L Tigershark engines utilizing electro-hydraulic “MultiAir” technology stems from the pistons and/or rings inside each engine. More specifically, the case claims the oil control strategy employed by FCA “does not work as intended” in that oil can escape past an engine’s piston ring and into its combustion area. As a result, an engine’s piston rings will not integrate properly with the cylinders in which they operate and can wear down, allowing oil to be consumed during an engine’s compression cycle, the lawsuit says.

“And if there is insufficient engine oil, the engine will not have the necessary lubrication or cooling, causing premature wear of internal parts and catastrophic engine failure,” the complaint reads.

Here is the link:

Fiat Chrysler Facing Class Action Over Alleged Engine Oil Consumption Defect

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  2. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

I wonder if this will encourage BMW, Audi, Subaru, and/or Mustang owners to follow suit. (Pardon the pun.)

A few years back, BMW and Audi stated that it was normal to burn a quart every 600 to 700 miles. Subaru says a quart every 1,000 to 1,200 miles is normal. https://www.torquenews.com/1084/bmw-tops-thirsty-30-list-new-vehicles-burning-excessive-oil

And Car and Driver stated in their long-term test of a 2017 Mustang Shelby GT350, that they added 21 quarts over the 40,000 miles they had the car. Ford states that under some conditions it's normal to use a quart every 500 miles. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23083757/2017-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-reliability-update-3/

My experience with my 345 and 392 Hemi engines is that it will use between half and one quart between oil changes. That's about 8,000 to 9,000 miles for the 345 and 5,000 to 6,000 miles for the 392.

3. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

don't forget GM....................

4. STEVEN NIX

STEVEN NIX Member

i had personally talked with an fca engineer (NAME REDACTED) that told me they were designed with the intent of using engine oil for a partial fuel supply for the car. they used low tension oil rings in the design. between less friction and the oil being burned it increased fuel economy by 1/10 of a gallon every 100 miles. add this up with the number of these engines sold it is substantial. you can call me what ever you want and try to overwhelm me with your knowledge of engineering, save it. i am a tech with chrysler over 40 years and they hand me all the way out problems to fix. you would never believe some of the things they do to meet standards made by govt. moron politicians that know everything about nothing. they make demands and expect engineers to create miracles. best example is the diesel debacle. they couldn't meet emmission standards by the greenies so they cheated.

5. Katshot

Katshot Full Access Member

I was a GM Master Tech years ago and I used to consult with Cadillac engineering for several years back in the 90's. Would love to hear some stories!
    When you said the oil ring design would increase MPG .10% every 100 miles, are you saying it was a cumulative improvement?

STEVEN NIX likes this.
  6. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

Great, now all the companies that make oil catch cans will go out of business. ;)

STEVEN NIX likes this.
  7. STEVEN NIX

STEVEN NIX Member

yes Katshot, cumulative as they determine C.A.F.E. over a standard number of test miles and number of cars. another story i"ll share with you is about the 9spd. ZF trans used in the jeep cherokees. in 2014, the trans went through 5 total design changes with software upgrades. if the trans failed later in the model year we were replacing them with the 2015 model year units and upgrading the PCM'S software to match. then it had to be registered with the factory as a "DNA" upgrade. the 2014 units that survived had 9th gear programmed out of them. if you left it operational, the would burn up. i may write a book about all this when i retire, but thats another story.

8. Katshot

I'm a little confused. Regarding CAFE standards, as I recall, they are simply a fleet average that OEM's must meet. It's just a matter of calculations based on the OEM's individual model certifications. Those certifications are simply the amounts of fuel burned and emissions given off over an estimated mileage driven over one year.
    A .1mpg increase per 100 miles translates into 1mpg increase per 1000 miles. That's a pretty huge increase. By the end of your first year of driving, your mpg would have increased by 13-15mpg?

9. Katshot

Check this out:
    Chrysler issued a technical service bulletin (TSB 09-007-15) in July 2015 concerning engine oil consumption guidelines related to an “acceptable rate of oil consumption” for all 2013-2016 vehicles equipped with gasoline engines.

"The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 2,000 miles (3,200 km) for the 1st 50,000 miles (80,467 km). For vehicles with more then [sic] 50,000 miles the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 750 miles (1,207 km)."

10. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

Same thing GM told me...1 qt / 1000 miles

I told 'em I'd be embarrassed if an engine I built used that much oil.....

STEVEN NIX likes this.