Cold weather door issues

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by Tim Yank, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Tim Yank

Tim Yank New Member

A couple of weeks ago, when we had our first night where the temperature dropped below 30 degrees, I was leaving to go somewhere and when I tried to shut my drivers door, it wouldn't latch and would "bounce" right back open. Also the power locks would not engage via the button on the armrest inside, the button on the door handle outside, or on the key fob. After about 15 minutes of panic and playing with the latch, I learned the only way to get to door to stay shut was to manually lock the door and shut it. Once I arrived at my destination, it was completely fine. Door shut smoothly the rest of the night as if there was never a problem. This has now happened multiple times, always when its below 30. Second, a couple of times now when I would open the door and the window would lower, it would not raise and go back into its channel in the weather stripping like its suppose to and seal shut. It instead jets out slightly and goes up and over the weather stripping, creating a gap on the back of the window where it isn't making contact with the strip. I have to lower the window and then raise it again to get it to go into the groove likes its suppose to. Third issue is while driving down the road, the window will slightly lower out of nowhere, as if I had opened the door. I have to then put it back up via the window button. All of these issues are on the drivers door only. With the car being less than 6 months old and only 4k miles, Im not happy to say the least

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

You can try to recalibrate the window. Follow these steps:
    1. With the doors closed, put the key in the ignition and turn the electronics on....but don't start the car.
    2. Press the passenger window switch down 10 times.
    3. Then press the switch up 3 times.
    4. Window should recalibrate.
    It is also possible that you have a defective window latch (see video). If so, take your car back to the dealer.

Dodge Challenger Ghost Window Problem Solved and a Tip to Remove a Broken Latch from the Inside - Bing video

Another thing to mention is that the 2011 models, with the keyless entry handle, had door locking issues. It was caused by moisture getting into the door control and corroding the contacts. Dealers replaced these door handles, and added electrical grease to prevent corrosion.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  3. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I found a bulletin where Dodge recommends a glass treatment called Aquapel to help make windows slick and shear off ice.
    [​IMG]