Considering a '14 SXT. Problems with the Pentastar?

Discussion in 'Prospective Challenger Owners Forum' started by ncraineman, Feb 11, 2018.

1. ncraineman

ncraineman New Member

Greetings all,

I'm considering trading my '05 Mustang daily driver for a '14 Challenger SXT. Been perusing the interwebz and have read a lot of nightmare problems with heads on the 3.6L Pentastar V6. Some people say these issues had been resolved by 2014, but I've also seen reports on head issues still popping up as recently as 2016 models.

I've always liked the looks of Challenger and 300hp is plenty sufficient for a daily driver so I'm not interested in the extra up front cost, worse fuel mileage or higher insurance rates that come along with Hemi... but the long term reliability of this new-fangled DOHC Pentastar engine has me concerned.

Anybody here with advice or experiences to share? Any more horror stories?

Thanks!

2. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

i have had 1 in a challenger, a 2011 SE Rally, for the size of it the horsepower is great, it The rally package back then was 20" chrome clad wheel, dual exhaust. sounded fine. a little growl. but over all a great engine, the gas mileage is pretty good too. this was my wife's car and mos of the time driving back and forth to work she got 23-25 mpg. on the hwy you could get 30mpg easy. my mechanic at my dealer told me that the 3.6L is the most complicated engine that Chrysler makes.

3. marine65

marine65 Member

The only problem I have with my 14' Rallye Redline is the check engine light comes on every now and then. Seems to be the P06DD code which is the oil sensor problem that the dealer replaced per the known defect. Since then the light has come on twice but before I can get it to a dealer the light goes out. On the road 30+ mpg but I average 23+ with lots of city driving. That is what I got with my previous car the Honda CRV. I love the power and the paddle shifters. I added: K&N CAI, Diablo Sport tuner with a Hemi Fever tune, Magnaflow Cat-Back exhaust, and an oil catch can.

IntimidatorRT likes this.
  4. kiss1962

kiss1962 Member

I owned a 2014 SXT Challenger for 3 yrs Put on almost 100,000 Highway KMs Averaged 30-35 miles/ Canadian Gallon .Only problem I experienced was the Original tires didn't last long maybe 40000km.Just Run Synthetic Oil and change every 8000kM and you be good to go. JME
    ATB
    Mopar Dwayne

20140807_160558.jpg

5. Tatt2Jack

Tatt2Jack Full Access Member

I have a '13 SXT Plus that's my daily driver. My only complaint is a somewhat lack of low-end torque AND the fact they put 2.65 gesring in it! Of course I know that helps with fuel mileage but makes it a bit sluggish from a dead stop. The other day I took it on a 200 mile trip, most of it Turnpike, averaging around 80 miles an hour and it was giving me 27.5 miles per gallon. I got it used and I've put 36,000+ miles on it since I've had it and everytime I take it out I dropped the hammer on it at least once and so far Motor is holding up fine. I got a CAI and a canned Diablo tune, (but I need to get a custom one made) and it does fairly well once you get the RPM's up. Check out the video ...

I'm a Happy Camper!!!

6. IntimidatorRT

the only bad thing about those engines from the 3.6L is you cant add headers to them, the exhaust manifold is made into the head. The 3.5L had a separate manifold for the exhaust.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  7. marine65

marine65 Member

My problem with my 14' Rallye Redline is the check engine light comes on every now and then. Seems to be the P06DD code which is the oil sensor problem that the dealer replaced per the known defect. Since then the light has come on twice but before I can get it to a dealer the light goes out. Yesterday, as usual, my engine light came on again and I was near the dealer so I took it in. Also, as usual, they didn't have time to look at it other than check the code ( P06DD ) and reset. It stayed clear for my drive home 20 miles away without going into limp mode again.
    Sometimes the light comes on and after a few days, the light will go out by itself. The code is supposed to be stored but the last time I made an appointment and that day when I started it the light was out. I took it in anyway and they said there was no code so they couldn't do anything about it. If this continues I will try to force them to replace the oil sensor again.

Anyone else having this problem?

8. IntimidatorRT

sometimes it helps if you call Chrysler customer service. and by pass the dealer to get this taken care of. it keeps the dealer service dept on their toes somewhat to keep you satisfied in buying their product.