Coolant Change

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by SRT-Tom, Apr 11, 2020.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Tip: If you change your own coolant, it is important to avoid causing an air pocket. overheating. To prevent this, there's an Allen screw next to the thermostat housing. This must be removed when filling the coolant system. When the coolant starts to come out of where you removed the screw reinstall the Allen screw. This assures that the system is bled (i.e., burped) and there is no air in it. Then, continue filling to the line on the reservoir tank.

If you skip this step, air can get trapped the coolant tubes (goes to/from heater core) and the upper part of the water pump, and the pump won't circulate the coolant. The result is engine overheating.

For more information about cooling systems, read the following article:

https://www.challengerforum.com/articles/automotive-cooling-systems.85/

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Clazar and tidefan1967 like this.
  2. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

I was SHOCKED to see how bad my coolant on my 2010 was when I got it from a dealer with only 8500 miles in 2018. It had actually STAINED the reserve tank so bad I had to buy a new one. Had to flush the system twice before I was happy with it.
    Found some NEW Green antifreeze and have had no problems in the 35,000 miles I have put on it in 2-years

3. SRT-Tom

You have the wrong coolant in your 6.1. Your 2010 takes HOAT. Green colored coolant is IAT (Inorganic Additive Technology). It is used in older vehicles and has more silicates than HOAT. Also, it has to be changed every two years.

HOAT antifreeze (orange or yellow) should not be mixed with green antifreeze because they are not compatible. If mixed together, these two types of antifreeze form a cloudy substance and precipitation that can decrease the coolant's useful life properties.

Although both the green and orange antifreeze are ethylene glycol-based, the difference between them is that they contain different corrosion inhibitor ingredients or additives. While orange antifreeze contains organic acids, green antifreeze has additives, such as silicates, borates and phosphates. The interaction of these different antifreeze types causes the formation of silicate precipitation, which has an impact on corrosion protection.

Another difference between these two antifreeze types is that orange antifreeze has a longer useful life that the green type. Orange antifreeze has a useful life of 5 years, whereas green antifreeze is good for 2 years. Orange antifreeze is referred to as an extended-life antifreeze.

All Chrysler vehicles, from 2002-2012, used HOAT (Hybrid OAT). It has less silicates than IAT and is less likely to plug up the heater core and lines during non-use of the heater in the summer months. Challengers have continuous circulation through the heater lines and heaters, with no in-line control valves to prevent circulation when in the closed position.

From 2013 to the present, OAT is used.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  4. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

Flushing mine is on my to do list. I am unsure as to when it was last done, although it does look very clean

5. 70-426_10-SRT

Thanks for the information, but . . . . .

Prestone.jpg

6. SRT-Tom

Although it will work, I assume that it has to be changed every 2-3 years?

I did a little research and found that Prestone replaced silicates with phosphates, so it should be save to use with all engines. However, I still prefer the Mopar HOAT coolant that was specifically formulated for my engine, instead of an "all purpose" one.

7. 70-426_10-SRT

Have 212k miles on my wifes 5.7, 175k on my 2000 V-10
    and have always run this in all my Mopars
    Just saying. . . .

While I DO Believe in the SRT Mopar Oil Filter,
    I have always found better and cheaper lubricant's and coolants with TRACK time to back it.
    FYI: Don't go cheap/generic

5-years_150k.jpg

8. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

This coolant topic has always confused me. I understand that car manufacturers recommend (or require) a certain coolant, be it HOAT or IAT. But then I go to the store and see coolant manufactures state their products are compatible with all makes and models.
    Is there a standard for the COLOR of the coolant? I've seen green, yellow, orange and red. Right now I only have a gallon of the green stuff for my 69 Camaro. I wanted to grab a gallon to top off my other cars if/when needed but I'm not going to have three other different gallons sitting around.

9. SRT-Tom

There are six types of coolants (antifreeze):

IAT (Inorganic Additive Technology)
    Application- Older Vehicles
    Composition- Silicates
    Color- Green

OAT (Organic Acid Technology)- GM Dexcool, 10 yrs. or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, or 15 years and 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.
    Application- Chrysler (2013-2019), GM, Saab and VW
    Composition- No silicates, nitrates or phosphates
    Color- Purple/Orange

HOAT (Hybrid OAT)- 5 years or 102,000 miles, whichever comes first.
    Application- Chrysler (2002-2012), Ford and European
    Composition- Silicates and organic acids
    Color- Yellow or Orange

Hybrid HOAT (Phosphate free)
    Application- BMW, Volvo, Tesla, Mini and others.
    Composition- NAP free
    Color- Pink/Blue

P-HOAT (Phosphated HOAT)
    Application- Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, KIA, and other Asian vehicles
    Composition- Phosphates and organic acids
    Color- Purple

Si-OAT (Silicated HOAT)
    Application- Mercedes, Audi, VW and Porsche)
    Composition- Silicates and organic acids
    Color- Purple

B5blueRT likes this.
  10. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member