Correct me if I'm in wrong forum! Question-tire pressure

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger General Maintenance' started by BunnyMom, Feb 13, 2022.

1. BunnyMom

BunnyMom Full Access Member

New to the computer age of vehicles, lover of squarebodies(GMC/CHEVY). My question is the light for the runflat came on. Car has 265/35R22 on. Tire pressure is 24 PSI in front, 42 PSI on rear. What!?? Front left barely at 24PSI so suspect that is why light came. Reading other threads that mention same tire size, most said they are at 36 PSI. All tires have same wear. Where should I be? Any advice/knowledge welcome!

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

You should always follow the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure found on a placard in your driver's side door jam. For a Challenger, you should be using 32 psi. Slightly more air pressure would be appropriate if you are carrying a heavy load. In any case, never exceed the maximum pressure cited on your tire's sidewall.

Obviously 24 psi. in the front and 42 psi. in the rear is not correct. I would recommend buying a good tire pressure gauge.

If tire pressure is too low, too much of the tire's surface area will touch the ground, which will increase friction between the road and the tire. As a result, not only will your tires wear prematurely, but they also could overheat.

Conversely, over-inflating your tires, by more than 10 psi., can lead to increased center tread wear- the side walls can bulge outwards, pulling the shoulders of the tire off the ground, making the middle part wear out faster than the rest.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    Clazar likes this.
  3. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

This is way out of my league with those tire sizes but the Challenger's computer is probably tuned in to the 32 psi recommended (or whatever your sticker states on the driver's door). Run flats??
    Such a discrepancy between front and rear psi is odd to me for regular street use.

BunnyMom likes this.
  4. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

Look for this on the driver's door side. I just took this photo for you. It's on my 2020 R/T but I'm sure it's the same general location for other years/models. I think you can click on the photo to enlarge.

DSC08122 (2).JPG

BunnyMom likes this.
  5. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

And following that placard is assuming you have the same tires (size & weight rating) or similar. Not such a problem with these cars, but with trucks, often people put bigger tires on, or switch from a P rated tire to a truck tire (again usually for size or towing/weight carrying capability), and try to use the same tire pressures.

There are also those who think the number on the tire is what you should run.....well that is true, IF you are at max loading, which is very rare.

The tires on my jeep will handle 44 psi, if I am at almost 3,000 lbs per tire....heck, the WHOLE jeep only weighs 3000 lbs...so running 44 psi is insane....I run 28-30, and without a pressure gage, you'd likely never know.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    BunnyMom likes this.
  6. BunnyMom

The entire runflat is new for me. I'm used to trucks,doing by what you know feels right,or by sight a tad low. Letting them air down for the sand dunes. Weight evenly on each. I am aware of the door info, thank you, should of mentioned what it said. Before answering the rest, will go get that info. Really confused by the tires with different PSI's, it wasn't expected and never seen. BRB shortly

7. BunnyMom

OK, door info now has me even more unsure of whats right. Said org are 215/65R17 30 PSI, 4905 front 2810 rear 2810 CAWR 1275kg-no idea wgat that is. Current tires are all the same. Going from 17's to 22's just seems quite a change. Is there a formula for finding PSI'S?

The light that came on in dash, when I looked it up said
    Dodge Challenger Runflat Indicator (RPA)
    When tires are filled to the recommended pressure found on the tire pressure warning inside the driver's door, the (TPMS) Tire pressure monitoring system stores this information. If one or more tires drop below this stored value, the low tire pressure warning light comes on. It would be best if you stopped as soon as possible to check or replace the affected wheel.
    [​IMG] That is when I saw they were not org tire sizes. Anything else I missed answering sorry

8. BunnyMom

not the plate currently on car. Cant stop looking at it. 272781879_2811946215617601_6844148644523560281_n.jpg

NC20RT likes this.
  9. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

You are overthinking this. Just run 32 psi. in your tires and you will be fine.

If you are interested in how psi. ratings are set, read the information on the following website:

https://www.tirereview.com/determining-the-right-psi/

BunnyMom likes this.
  10. BunnyMom

HA!! Yeah but dont want to do anything wrong, this my first car like this. Thank you, appreciated!

PS Bought a brand spanking new gauge!