Decal to Paint Question

Discussion in 'Challenger Exterior Modifications Forum' started by Hopslayer, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Hopslayer

Hopslayer Full Access Member

I put decals on my car to personalize it, but I am tired of not being able to run my car through a regular car wash and having to be careful when waxing so I don’t peel up any edges.

I decided that I want to remove the decals, and paint on the exact same design, but then I thought about changing the color from black to match the red of the caliper covers I will be putting on.

The only issue with that, is that then I will have the red badging on the sides of the car with the factory black stripes still running down the center of the car.

So should I stick with the black, or go with the red? Any thoughts? Below is a picture of the black I am thinking of switching out to red. Entire job would cost me about a grand.

469BA2F1-F121-4D3E-8EE4-2B1BCF883788.jpeg

2. ZEN357

ZEN357 Full Access Member

Go with red. Jut my opinion but not satin or flat, go with gloss.

Hopslayer likes this.
  3. Vyper

Vyper Well-Known Member

I don't think it would look good if you did it all red. I think it would look nicer if you did subtle hints of red here and there, especially since the factory stripes are black. Maybe if you kept the black but did the lettering in red.
    I did a quick draft of what each would look like.

Just my opinion though... It's your car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopslayer likes this.
  4. Hopslayer

I’m not married to the red. I could live with either. I have red intake rings, red caliper covers and will be painting a part of the grill red. Maybe that’s enough?

5. Vyper

Vyper Well-Known Member

Speaking of the intake rings... what did you end up doing about a CAI? Did you go with the Mopar setup with the headlight intake? K&N?
    Hellcat lower airbox with headlight tube?

6. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

I would stay with the black.

70-426_10-SRT and Hopslayer like this.
  7. Hopslayer

Decided the CAI was pointless in my case. Probably going to do an oil catch can this summer.

8. B5blueRT

B5blueRT Full Access Member

I'd stick with black. The red calipers would be an accent. I'm partial to either redline tires or a red pinstripe on the wheels. Ever consider that to help offset the red calipers?

Hopslayer likes this.
  9. Hopslayer

I have 3 Facebook pages, so I posted a poll question on two of them with the pictures above. Sticking with the black won hands down. I may do my nickname in red, and I also ordered rim protectors in red. Not sure if I will use them, as they haven't come in yet. Tires have only 9100 miles on, so I won't need those for a while, but I like that idea.

10. IntimidatorRT

IntimidatorRT Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator

remember, if you paint the stripes on, you are stuck with it. that's why I have vinyl stripes on mine, my stripe package I had on mine was 8 years old, got tired of it, peeled it off which took less than an hour, but had a bit of glue residue left on the car from the stripes, so in about another hour I had that cleaned off. I do vinyl for a living now so having the right tools helps. I also did the rally stripes on my Ram and have no problems taking it through a car wash. Now my car on the other hand gets hand washed at the house or if I take it to a detailer shop. it does not see a mechanical car wash at all.

Hopslayer likes this.