Dixie petroliana show in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Hobby Forum' started by NC20RT, Sep 11, 2021.

1. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

I've been going to this large show for many years. It's held twice a year (the larger shows) near Sevierville TN (outside Pigeon Forge).
    On Thursday I picked up some cool porcelain signs (repros) and of course some old cans for my collection. I found a 50 year old Mopar brake fluid can (a little rough but no dents & decent) for just $20.
    Here are some of my purchases. The 4 oz Esso can is NOS as is the 4 oz Gulf.

DSC07887 (2).JPG DSC07888 (2).JPG DSC07891 (2).JPG DSC07898 (2).JPG DSC07901 (2).JPG

70-426_10-SRT likes this.
  2. 70-426_10-SRT

70-426_10-SRT B&E body lover

You sir have a serious addiction:cheers:

Have actually never been to Tennessee.
    Flew over many time on the way to Florida.
    Would like to stop at Lynchburg. Have a LOT of Glass from there

NC20RT likes this.
  3. NC20RT

^^ Yes I do :mexsmoke:
    The thrill of the hunt. Now that I have a Challenger after many years without Mopar products, the collection has taken a new twist. The only problem is that old Mopar stuff is much pricier than GM or Ford. Like that Mopar brake fluid can, I knew there was one on ebay but he wanted $85 or offer. Just too high for my taste so getting this one for $20 was a no brainer.

4. Wizard of Iz

Wizard of Iz Full Access Member

Great finds.

I hate to think of how much cool stuff was tossed when various relatives threw stuff out to retire.

NC20RT likes this.
  5. NC20RT

Thanks!
    Not only items thrown out by relatives but just think of every young man that worked at service stations back in the 50' and 60's.
    My elderly neighbor used to work at a Phillips 66 back then and the boxes of free oilers, inexpensive cans, etc.. were there for the taking. He said if had a crystal ball, these petroliana items would have been better than any IRA. Old discarded station signs were 'tossed' and are now worth thousands in many instances today. I saw transactions at the show that made my jaw drop with folks laying out thousands of dollars without blinking an eye. Here I am with a few hundred dollars to spend in comparison. It's all just fun and a hobby for me but some folks are in the business end or looking for serious $$$.
    Unfortunately with money becoming significant, many reproductions or flat out fakes are everywhere, especially ebay. Over 90% of signs on ebay are NOT real. I've learned many things to watch out for over the decades but to the average collector or novice, it is easy to be conned.