Dodges Response to this foam rust issue

Discussion in 'Challenger Mechanical Problems Forum | TSB's' started by Liam Wilson, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Liam Wilson

Liam Wilson Active Member

I know this concerns a lot of folks with this sprayed foam causing rust problems. My persistence seems to have paid off. we’ll sort of. I received a letter from a gentleman named Jeff from Dodge. Ok he states in his letter and I quote, “The foam compound utilized in our vehicles does not cause corrosion “.Ok we know that’s total BS. Also, stated “Sealing techniques have been improved over past decades and We Have Not Seen Any Issues On This With These Vehicles “ Well I was a little stunned by this comment because we know the early Challenges are in fact rusting from this sponge foam and the fact is Dodge has known about this from at least as far back as 2015. I’ve seen letters people have written to the company about this problem. So, I was directly lied to twice. Just want to share with you guys, sorry that they fed me a bunch of bullshit. Liam Space Coast Florida

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Moe Duffy and NC20RT like this.
  2. NC20RT

NC20RT Full Access Member

It's too bad that they won't specify what model years have the issue. Of course they have to admit it first. Was the problem or process ever corrected, like say after the 2014 model? Is the same exact process used in the new 2021 models?

3. TRCM

TRCM Full Access Member

The foam itself doesn't cause corrosion....but it does hold moisture...and that is what causes corrosion...

68MOPAR likes this.
  4. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

This is what it looks like behind the fender.

[​IMG]

5. Liam Wilson

I did follow up with this guy Jeff from Dodge and asked a simple question, are they still applying this crap in the vehicle for say 2021. His response was to refer me back to the original line of bullshit he handed me stating that he cannot comment or elaborate any further and to follow up with your dealership. So, that was a big “Yes” . So there it is. Close this out by saying it’s truly a shame that this is the situation but I think what offended me more was the outright lies I was told. So little honesty left in the world…….☹️

6. Liam Wilson

Well I live in South Florida where the humidity is usually around a thousand percent . Your comment that the foam itself doesn’t cause rust is technically correct but we’re talking real world and it will get wet . That’s like saying the sun doesn’t cause skin cancer as long as you don’t sit in it. I’m just so happy I didn’t drop a fortune on one of these expensive Hellcats . This would be driving me crazy not that I like it any less in my new SXT which by the way the transmission is still clunking on start up and now it doing it while driving. I’ve had three repair attempts and now Fiat is saying it’s normal . I just try to keep smiling . Bill Florida East Coast.

7. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The foam insulation sucks up moisture from driving in the snow or rain. Also, through normal condensation. I wonder if other cars like the Camaro and Mustang have a similar problem?

If you encounter rust within 60 months/100,000 miles, the cost to fix the problem will be covered by your new car warranty. I have heard that the Dodge repair costs $4,500 per side! They replace the whole rear panel to the roof and rocker panel to the front fender.

Other owners, whose car are outside of the warranty, have paid $900 per side for a patch job (i.e., cut and weld).

8. Liam Wilson

Yeah, well if Dodge is in fact replacing whole quarters, the official response I got, that none of this was happening, was completely false. Wonderful world we live in today.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2021
  9. arizonajack

arizonajack Full Access Member

10. 2017 Redline HC

2017 Redline HC 2021 Durango RT

I’m glad mine is a garage queen, never sees rain, salt or water for that matter. This is another reason why I use detailing spray to maintain its cleaning needs. You’d think that they would have stopped doing this foam injection back when these problems started to appear.
    I’m not sure how easy this would be, I read this from the link above. You’d need a good air supply to be able to cut the foam apart…….I have to wonder how accurate his suggestion is. Closed cell foam is generally a fairly solid material;
    2229041C-DFF7-4F24-BCDE-DA265D492B6B.png