Elephant Logos

Discussion in 'The Champagne Room' started by SRT-Tom, Apr 18, 2021.

1. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Super Moderator Article Writer

Did you ever notice how similar the University of Alabama's logo is to the Hemi elephant?

upload_2021-4-18_8-48-51.png

upload_2021-4-18_8-49-13.png

2. SRT-Tom

SRT-Tom Well-Known Member Super Moderator Article Writer

The 426 Hemi Elephant was the original.

The Univ. of Alabama has only been using the elephant, as a secondary logo, since 2004.

For those interested, here is how an elephant became associated with the university:

On Oct. 8,1930, sportswriter Everett Strupper of the Atlanta Journal wrote a story describing Alabama’s college football team after watching them pound Mississippi, 64-0. Under head coach Wallace Wade, the Crimson Tide had grown into a national contender in the mid-to-late 1920s after winning national titles in 1925 and 1926. They looked even more dominant than ever in 1930. Here’s how Strupper, using colorful imagery, described Wade’s squad from that football game:

"At the end of the quarter, the earth started to tremble, there was a distant rumble that continued to grow. Some excited fan in the stands bellowed, ‘Hold your horses, the elephants are coming,’ and out stamped this Alabama varsity.

“It was the first time that I had seen it and the size of the entire eleven nearly knocked me cold, men that I had seen play last year looking like they had nearly doubled in size.”